I'm writing a paper on the history of electric bass.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    does anybody here have any ideas for me? any help would be great! Thanx!
  2. The new book 'How the Fender Bass Changed the World' by Jim Roberts (published by Bass Player and their publishers) would be an excellent resource.

If you talk about players, I would strongly recommend not overlooking Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn, who collectively played on just about every hit record that came out in the '60's (except Motown, The Beatles and the Stones). Joe Osborn is also quite an important figure since he got one of the very first Jazz basses and subsequently went about recording that bass on thousands of songs that the whole world heard.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Here's a link that may help you get started; (and if your teacher/prof is sharp, make sure this source is solid!) -

If you can contact him, look up Talkbasser Bob Gollihur. He's forgotten more than I know.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey, now!

It's a Rob W sighting!
    ...have you been padding your post totals over at the Kiss Fan Forum? ;)
  5. Nope - the past year has been full of a lot of change for me so I haven't been posting much anywhere. I do pop in here from time to time again though. Thanks for noticing. :)

back to the subject...

that "How the Fender Bass..." book also lists quite a number of good sources in the bibliography.

There is also a smallish hardcover called "The Bass Book" by Tony Bacon & Barry Moorhouse also published by the Guitar Player/Bass Player folks. It's pretty good too.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just bought the ""How the Fender Bass..." book and was a bit disappointed that most of it duplicates the Tony Bacon book which has been around for quite a while now and to me, actually tells the same story more clearly and concisely!

I used to like Jim Roberts articles at the back of BP and thought there might be more of his stuff where he talked to luthiers, but having read both now, I would recommend the Tony Bacon "Bass Book" as cheaper and easier to follow.
  7. I am also doing a research paper on the history of the bass guitar. I'm going to wait until I look at enough sources before I determine exactly what mty paper is going to focus on.

Just wondering if any of you out there know of any other sources? Any source will do, books, web, periodicals, ect...