Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ima Robot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Like Talking Heads meets Devo with Modest Mouse and the Ramones. Witty, well played, full of hooks and grooves. Huge thumbs up from me.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    cool! any links or leads you can provide to hear some?

or was this meant as a reply :p

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Use the search on itunes. For 7.99 you can't go wrong.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Booyah!

5. Samples on their website too...Ima Robot, so THAT's how they spell their name. Heard their song "Dynomite" on the radio ONCE late at night, never again. Pretty cool song, couldn't find any info about them till now cuz I thought the name was "I'm" or "I am"...:rolleyes:

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Let us know what you think.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That is what I think, of both the fact that you are using iTunes AND the music. :D

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

:bassist:

9. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Bumpity bump bump for a splendid album. I'm always at least 2 years out of fashion.
    Splendid, bouncy, happy, summer, songs. I think I hear a bit of New Order and PIL in there too. Nice to hear a kick ass bassist underplaying

10. Sherwood

Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    If I'm not mistaken, Ima Robot's bassist is Mr. Justin Meldal-Johnsen, bassist for Beck and about 1000 other people's studio albums. He's currently on a European tour with Beck. His website (http://www.justinmj.com/) is better than internet radio. It just streams wonderful modern bass lines for hours. The guy is as tight as a bass player can be, imho. Nothing fancy, but as has been said, he's a kick azz player underplaying. It leaves such an enjoyable sense of anticipation, knowing something crazy funky could explode at any moment.

That's what's so great about this instrument, huh?

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    He's a great example of playing what's right for the song IMO.

12. oh wow, i didnt no anyone else new about them, thats awesome. Ive been into them for about a year now, amazing stuff.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member