Image size and post affected

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Dave Castelo, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey paul!
    nice new forum!

i once told you about this "Problem" (wich is not as big but...) on the chatroom.

see, when someone post an image bigger than the user's screen resolution, all the post adapt to the image size... making them longer and harder to read (across the screen, you have to scroll to right to see all), also you cant read the message and the user easily.

well actually is not that hard on that one but i have seen some HUGE imagges and the text is all across the image (i have 800x600 so the example above might be useless on a 1060 and up).

what im asking about is that, since the vBulletin is almost the same in some internet forums, could you fix this??

not to compare but TABCRAWLER forum (yes that one! repeat NOT COMPARING ;))... anyways, tabcrawler forum has this feature where only the post where the image is, is enlarged and that doesnt affect the other users...

as you see, some pictures are bigger than the post area but they dont stretch the other ones.

i bet you know what im talking about :D

ok bye!!

(if my credit card has no problems with paypal, im supporting this weekend!!!)
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    well i made the paypal aplication... it will take some time for me to get the paypal number on the mail... so guess i still have to wait :(
  3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Dave -

I'm on it! Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Thanks -
  4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Me = not so great :(

Ack. Turns out the left column makes the wide image problem inevitable. Has to do with the limitations of HTML tables. I can "half" fix it, but then the left column only extends halfway down the page, and posts are out of alignment. I'll continue to poke around for solutions to this problem.

Sorry -

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    don't worry paul... it's just that if tabcrawler did that... why talkbass not! :D

maybe i just need a bigger resolution monitor :p

6. ChlkDstTtr

ChlkDstTtr Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Seacoast New Hampshire

Something to think about. PHP has cool image manipulation abilities (resizing, image type, etc). There's a utility that you can compile into PHP called GD. It might be some trouble, but it might come into good use in the future for other things too. The only shortcoming would be dealing with links to images that people include, although with a little thought you might be able to deal with those too.
  7. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Bump. Scrolling left and right is seriously annoying. Everything else on this site is perfect
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    jeez. an almost 4 yr old thread