Imagination time:You custom made bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalbass101, Feb 4, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    If you had one million dollars to have any person or brand make you a bass with any/everything you want,what exactly would it be?(in full detail)
  2. Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Ok now i know you wanted details but the only thing i think i would do is pay a very famous wood worker to make me my body and my neck out of some very beautiful exotic but well toned woods. other than that I don't think i would spend too much more on it. I'd buy myself a Blank Ebony fretboard and build the rest of the bass myself. I don't exactly know what pick ups or bridge i'd buy but whatever.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A sadowsky ultra-vintage jazz with quilt maple top in trans blue with matching headstock.

Nuff said - and id still have $996,000 change for my dream amp :)
  4. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    My bass would be made by stautus graphite.It would have a small flying v style tiltback headstock,triangle tuners,one peice graphite jazz style neck,neckthrough,with out the fret light things.It would have block style fret markers made out of ..almost anything that came from a space rock.The body would be really big. ..sorta like a flying v(also one peice graphite),but two horns on the farther end and front/neck end that are perfectly symmetrical to eacth other.The horns would be VERY big and wide and more sharp,not roundish.At the say last 6-7 inches of the horns,the point would sharply point up/down,not diagnal like the rest of the horns.The middle of the body would be smooth and curved,like a p or j bass's middle.The nut and bridge would be current day carvin like.Either two staus humbuckers,two MM humbuckers,or a MM in the middle and a "J-bucker" in the bridge.The electronis would be 18v.The back of the body has a large "turn the knob and flip open" warwick style lid. Inside,there would be a of volume,bass and treble knob for each pickup.(on the body,only a pickup pan/balance knob)The battery compartment would be flat when not opened,but like a half circle when flipped open.The 9v battery plugins are reinforced into the battery hacth door. Dark blue,black chrome,natural graphite and the shiny fret markers would be the only color you see on the bass.It would have a "photo finish" bluburst quilted maple top on the front of the bass.Just natural black graphite on the rest of the body.

It would be called the "X-ADDER"

I know it seems Im trying to bite off the Who's bassist and his "buzzard" bass but I can assure you,its just a taste coincidence trust me...I have even heard the Who yet :(.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Already have em: EB Stingray and Fender P with Dimarzio's and EBO
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    MTD 535, Korina body, nice burl top, sunburst or one of his nice redburst finishes. Wenge neck, maple fretboard, custom inlayed, matching pickup covers and nice wooden knobs, mmmmmmmmmmmm delicious. :) Now if I didn't just pay my college bills I'd get something CLOSE, but I'm broke looks like I might get an RB5 next.
  7. ratamahatta

ratamahatta Guest

Sep 8, 2003
    well it would have a tiger maple body and wingy fret bord, neck through somewhat ibanezish but larger, 5 string, the tiger maple would be light du to the laquwer applied as a finish so the tone and volume nobs and the one pickup switch would be black along wioth the bridge and the machine heads. a b and t bartolini soapbar. rounds. the binding would be wood from the fret board inlayed onto the guitar and the fretboard would be notched into the neck to make it look all trick. hmm and maybe afteri built it i''d put my initials on the headstock, idk yet. hmm 24 frets, and after the las tfret the fret board would have 1 small screw, u take it out and the last peice of fret board slides out and u got ur truss rod. sounds familiar.

i got pictures of this project in a different thread u should check them out.
    im up cor constructive critisism.

(mind my crappy spelling)

or id make one entirely out of granit (plus a stand cuz im not a weight lifter) i think it would have a tad o9f resonance
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Maybe get a Fodera 5 or 6-string for $8000 and using the rest of the money to bribe them into using a non-Fodera body shape ;)
  9. I already own the bass of my dreams (MM Stingray). If I would buy another high end bass it will prob. be another MM.
  10. 4 string Jazz

Maple neck and FB
    Mahogany(sp?) body
    Wenge pickup covers
    Wenge control knobs
    Brightest sounding pickups with the best preamp out there (don't know the answer to this)
    24 frets
    Ernie Ball Stainless Steel Strings (50-110)

I think that would work just dandy...
  11. Well I guess i would have to get o0o0o lets seeEe

My Dream Bass

GB Rumor with lotsa custom touches and exotic woods....where onlu exibition grade will do....GB electronics and pups are the best in the world anyway so0o...they'll do nicely...

Rack of Four GB Spitfire for touring with....that would be nice...and with the change...o0o0o0o

A Sei Flamboyant with all the trimmings
    A Wal Mach II o0o
    Custom Gibo Thundebird
    Lotsa amps......

o0o0o0o... and just lotsa other random basses...
  12. ok, mine would be.

GB standard (nothing standard about it)
    swamp ash body
    AAAAA grade quilted maple top
    5 piece flamed maple and purpleheart through neck
    birdseye maple fretboard
    flamed maple pickguard
    flamed maple tuners and knobs
    abalone custom inlays (hard to describe)
    hipshot tremolo bridge
    nickel nut, stainless steel frets
    GB pickups and electronics

and i would put the left over money in the bank and live off the interest :D

13. Wotnwhy

Yay another GB Fan....

well i guess the bass u described would look similar to this...hehe

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    This is kind of wierd. And I am a fickle teenager, but here we go...

Okay, we're starting out with the specs of a Lakland 4-94, 55-94, etc.

If Bass = Fretted 4 or 5 then
    Maple Fretboard with 22 Small Frets
    End If

If Bass = Fretless 4, 5, or 6 then
    Ebanol Fretboard
    End If

If Bass = Fretted 6 then
    Rosewood Fretboard with 24 small frets
    End If
    [end vb]

And we're adding

U-Retro preamp (if possible with the following rediculous pickup configuration)

TWO Bartolini MM pickups. With 3 Coil Taps EACH. This would enable me to switch between MM/MM, MM/J, J/MM, P, J, MM/P, P/MM, J/P, P/J, MM, P/P, and J/J.

BadAss Bridge

Internal Headphone Amp (Cool idea)

Extended Lower Body Horn and Rubber pad on side of body for easier strapless playing

Active Everything

Hipshot D-Tuner on the 4's

Swamp Ash/Maple

cool huh?
  15. zen bass,
    oh man, thats so close it's scary! *runs away screaming*

is it you're GB? if so, how long have you had it (lots of little bits of the design seem to suggest it's an older model)?

P.S. check your PM
  16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hmmm $1000000 you say? I would get a P bass from each year '51-'65, a jazz from each year '62-'69, a couple sadowskys, few stingrays, about 10 different fretless basses, a 7 string, a 9 string, a 23 string, 3 uprights that are at least 100 years old or more and then... oh wait you said one custom?!? But I would rather have 20 or 30 nice ones! :bassist:
  17. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    I'd have the most outrageous bass ever.

Solid Granite body (as in like your countertop)
    37 strings (tuned what you can't hear low to what you can't hear high)
    35 frets
    Inlays that display the entire chinese character set ( I should have enough room on the fretboard)
    5 Bart pickups with a 10 band EQ
    and 400 extra pairs of strings (so I don't have to buy any more.)

...and I think that's it...

What do I win?
  18. This one:

Then a '62 Jazz stack knob.

Then with the change, I could quit my job and start building basses. And play them.

19. I own my dream bass and with the million i just saved i would invest in a very nice new rig then buy season Patriots, Redsox, and Celtics tickets for 20 years.

Da bass:
  20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    What he said. Then add a JP, a Basslab, a Pagelli, a LeFay, a Huff, a Nordstrand, and maybe a Benevente.