Imagine a passive MusicMan. Can it be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mostho, Jan 8, 2004.

1. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    Thinking and speking about it... A friend of mine in a Italian foruma says to me "you're ok that a G&L sounds good but maybe a MM can sound well in passive mode also."

So excluding the preamp and the electronic, make an imagination, a MusicMan can sound good?
    Or almost good as a good G&L... My G&L...?

Please tell me what do you think about it, i will transfer your questions to my italian friend!!

2. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I believe MM makes an SUB passive model now.
  3. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    OK but imagine a good MusicMan, a Sterling for example... It can sound as well as in active mode?
    IMO I don't think so...
  4. well thats like imagining a stingray without the pickguard, not happenin in my mind.
  5. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    In the very beginning, an active circuit was an option.
  6. Polyamarous

Jul 4, 2006
    Exeter, UK
    Isn't OLP basically passive MM's?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No. Just looks like one. Entirely different quality materials.

IMO a passive music man would not sound very much like an active music man. Part of the signature tone is the aggressive output.
  8. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    I'd be curious to hear one, though, remembering to see it on a page in an old MM catalog on the MM forums.
  9. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As difficult to believe as this may be...

I have a friend that owns one of the early Jay Turser MM clones and it sounds amazingly close to the real deal so, there's that.

Nice freakin' bass for all of about a buck and a half.
  10. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Though not a MM ... a bass often compared to it, the Ibanez ATK was made in both active (the vast majority) and a passive version (the ATK 100) . There is a pretty big difference in the tone although the ATK 100 still has the signature "bark" ... the standard version with the pre-amp is many times more versatile. More so than even the MM.