Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IMHO: fender finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 5, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    they need to make something a bit tougher. maybe its because i never had a scratch on my music man or my ibanez or my mim p-bass, but my 04 mia us just horrendous(sP?)

i know they have used polyester finish, like the mim ones, or the music man, but why would you put a finish on a guitar that is so hard to keep nice looking?

does a polyester finish really "choke" the woods tone that much. i mean hell, the music man has a polyester finish. why couldnt they make a mia fender p-bass with, as the msic man website says "a thick polyester coating".

errr, i guess a lot of you guys dont care about this stuff, but its really bothering me that my 5 year old music man has barely any scratches on it, yet my brand new 04 p gets scratches everytime i re string the bass, or even take it out of the case for that matter. is the new finish just that effing cheap? and why the heck cant they just make it tough?

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Dang, my used SR5's finish is in pretty rough shape. But it's been around for nearly 16 years.

3. I have never gotten scratches on that on my '99 or my '02. Hitting symbols or other guitars on stage is one thing, but getting scratches restringing it? How do you manage that, man?

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    one the back, i missed the hole, and it just went against it really quickly and left this nice sized scratch, and im usually pretty careful when i do this, just so that this doesnt happen.

when i used to re string my music man, i would slip all the time and never caused things like this. maybe its the new ones just suck butt cheeks. i dont know.

like, ok, good example. i used to play my stingray at work all the time, and the back would rub up against the arm of my chair. never put a scratch or a dent on it. my p on the other hand. ugh.

5. Good thing you're staying away from nitocellulose finishes!

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The finishes they use now are by far the most durable they have used. Like GB says stay away from the old nitro ones. They lose paint if you look at them wrong.

I had a 2001 ray and I have two new Fenders now. They both scratched equally in my experience.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    maybe its the american ones because my mim is polyester and i have abused it, and its not even close.

im not going to get anything in nitro because ive seen nitro finishes that sucked.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Um...your Fender - is it a Hwy 1 model?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    nope, american standard p-bass with the s-1 2004 model.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I was just about to ask the same question....

I have a Hwy 1 Jazz and at first I didn't like the finish but it's kinda grown on me now.......but it seems like the finish might wear off a bit faster than the other finishes.