Immigration to Europe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Please don't turn this into a political thread that will get locked. I am genuinely searching for information.

So, after I finish up college, I'm looking at immigration to Europe as something I'd like to do. I'm talking full citizenship in a European country, not ex-pat status or a student visa.

The problem is, I hear this is damn near impossible. Immigration to EU countries is tightly controlled, I guess. You need to obtain work and residence permits, which is the hard part. Without citizenship, I hear finding a job is almost impossible, because companies have to hire EU citizens over foreigners.

So, a question for the Europeans: How should I go about this? Should I even try?
  2. What country are you planning on moving to? I'm sure it differs country to country (meaning I bet moving to somewhere in the UK would be different than Ireland or Germany).

Immigrating to europe would be kinda fun, I think. I've thought about studying a year in the UK somewhere, just to experience the world more.
  3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Any EU nation. I hear that the requirements for EU immigration are pretty standardized now.
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    NOOO, DONT DO IT!!! Your brain will explode when you have to adjust to the Changes!!!

*Cigarette's = Fag's (Not meant to be innapropriate, if you deem it so, Delete it)
    *American's = Wankers
    *Thongs = T-Bars!!!

J/K, Europe is Great, its VERY beautiful, and the houses are VERY old (I like that) Some of the houses have the Original Deed's written on Goat Skin. Plus Europe is Beautiful.

EDIT: Isnt Gas Increadibly expensive there?
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, but they not only have their crap together on mass transit, but cross country mass transit as well (I.E. it's pretty easy to take a train of some sort from Germany to France, etc).
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's almost impossible to move permanently to Europe unless:

You're a millionaire.
    You're a brain surgeon.
    You're a self sufficient artist who doesn't need a job.

Other than that, you're pretty much screwed. Go take a vacation there instead.

7. didn't you try moving to europe, benny?
  8. "Emigration," perhaps?

Since you don't currently live there, you would be seeking to emigrate. When you arrive, you will have to go through immigration at the airport.

9. mr. smarty pants lives!
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Come to the UK, as a US citizen were bound to have a place for you.

Say you're something to do with defence ;)
  11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup. I was told under no circumstances could I move unless I have several million dollars to blow.
  12. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Come to Norway. All the beautiful nature will have you hooked. Also, Norway is one of the few nations lucky enough NOT to be in the EU (not yet, anyway)
    Here's a quick 3-step how-to:
    1. Get ye to Norway
    2. Get ye a spouse
    3. Settle down and live happily ever after
    Of course there will have to be some culture shock, and some adjustments needed to be worked in. But you'll manage, if you really want to. And, although most Norwegians speak English quite well, you'll probably have to learn Norwegian eventually.
  13. [Frank N. Stein]Scoooooorrrrreeee...[/Frank N. Stein]
  14. Scandinavia would be a crazy place to live. That would be one of my dream residences.

What about from Canada? Is it somewhat easier to emigrate to Europe for some reason? You never know, Canada is a lot like Europe in many ways, at least more than with the US.
  15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Doesnt change the fact Canada isnt in the EU :p
  16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Scandinavia is a great place if you like death metal.
  17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Imagine Going to the mall's and seeing NOTHING but Goth's and Metal-Heads, Then you walk in (Blue Jeans, and White T Shirt) and the whole place just STOPS..... and looks at you....

That would be soo Funny!
  18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    welll actually goths do wear black outfits, but other metalheads are more 'liberal' in the sense of clothing, and since diversity is a strong part of Europe, you wont be that badly looked at...

But when you happen to get to a concert... :D
    especially when you're in Hungary! :D

We had Slipknot here yesterday.
    Corey officially named us the "craziest audience in the whole world we've ever seen!"
    He also said "i wanna keep playing! i dont wanna go home!"
    and he promised they will soon return :D

It was like when Slayer came for the first time, then they came again the next year, and after almost every song Tommy Araya stopped to say that we are one of the greatest audiences and thanked us all for coming, ... :D
    Then last year Iron Maiden came for the first time, and they came again the same year :D
    Then Anthrax came for the first time last year and they are coming this year, too :D
    Clawfinger has been here about four times in four years, twice in one year; the same goes for Nightwish, too
    And lots of other bands, too :D
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Happens to me every time I accompany friends to a black or goth disco. :p

Well not in that extreme, but one or two looks when we arrive - and it looks like matter/antimatter. :D
  20. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    come to holland man! we'll walk on wooden shoes, visit the windmills, eat cheese, play football and smoke grass all day.

no seriously. i think it would be a good idea to have a bit of working experience and some contacts (family, maybe fellow TB-ers, friends). remember that unemployment is very high here at the moment.