Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Immune to caffeine, what will keep me awake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, May 9, 2004.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm more than sure that I'm one of the few unlucky people who can't be kept awake through caffeine -- my doctor says this pretty normal, as caffeine doesn't have an invigorating effect on everyone.

The problem is I will have to pull an all-nighter soon and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it through sheer willpower. So, are there any alternatives to caffeine (nothing of the illegal kind, please :D), any other drinks, foods, that may help keep me awake? What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Have you tried Meshuggah?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Looking good, I guess all I need to do now is figure out how to get hold of this stuff over here. o_O

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Red Bull actually works. I used it to drive by myself from LA to NYC once in 3 1/2 days.

Just be careful and don't mix it with anything.

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Dave you should try sparks! It is a red bullish energy drink mixed with vodka... it is killer!

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Red bull/Vodka is killer. Literally. Like a sledgehammer wrapped in gummi bears.

8. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    exercise. it'll stimulate your metabolism, keep you up. go for a run/walk/bike ride or something, and try to get up and move around periodically. i used to work the graveyard for a couple of years, and can't handle much caffeine, but that always works for me.

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sounds cool, but I normally do not take those energy drinks. I used Red Bull at the time because I had to be in NYC from LA asap. If I am going to have a caffinated alcoholic beverage, it is usually an Irish coffee or coffee with Baileys.

But as JMX pointed out, RedBull and Vodka has it's good qualities except fpr the poor folks who pushed it too hard. (just not when I am driving :)

10. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    be careful with red bull...

I drank ONE can at 8:30 PM, slept about one hour that night, woke up, tired as F@!#, and then ten minutes after I woke up I was so hyper I was shaking, sweating, and speaking in tounges (literally, 'cept for the tounges part, I was just talking so fast that no one could understand me.).

I but I have drank three at once and not felt any real effects... I guess what happend was I was calm before, and when I drank the one, I was under a little stress of the work that night and the little stress of getting ready in the morning, so my heart rate began to increase just a little as it should and the red bull made my heart rate go out of control.
    :hyper: hahhah

11. Cocaine. It keeps you up for hours. ;)

12. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I've heard bananas give you energy and make you awake.
    Other than that, I'd try mixing the caffeine with lots of sugar. Maybe then it works a little better.
    Unfortunately, I have the same problem with caffeine. So, I am curious as to what other ideas will come up here.

13. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    Please don't drive when you're overtired, its not fun to wake up and see that you're going to hit a tree and at 40 mph. Luckily the truck and my head are still usable, but they both took a beating.

That said, I'd stay away from lots of sugar. It gives a sudden burst of energy, but then you drop quickly. I don't know what you are staying awake for, but try and move around alot and don't do the same thing for very long at a time. Keep yourself interested and don't look at the clock!

14. whoa! ouch! glad your ok...? :meh:

caffeine doesnt work to well for me these days, however generally keep myself happy does work for sometime!

for me it takes around 6 cans of red bull to just get me going! last year when i was often high on caffeine i drank 20 cans of the stuff during a day before a gig.. weee! :)

fruit is full of energy, energy drinks, try some coffee anyway, chocolate!

15. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    crack??

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I think everyone here should visit

www.erowid.org

and visit the drugs section. You can see how caffine works and read about how it affects people. Good reading, and informative too.

17. Holy crap. I thought I was the only person who actually uses that site. Great information to be had, there.

18. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Yep! It has kept me from trying many a drug (just read some of the horror stories!).

19. Amphetemines?

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah like adderall, kiddy coke.