1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

iMovie HD6 to iMovie 09 help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pasta4lnch, Sep 29, 2010.

1. so I recently took the plunge (LONG over due) and got a new mac pro. There is a bit of readjusting as a lot is different (I've been on OS 10.3.9 since it came out :eek:) so I was a few generations behind.

I mastered iMovie HD6 and offered basic movies to some of my clients in the studio and did some demos for friends/bands. I'm in the process of getting together some demos for a friends new line of fx pedals (I'll post 'em on TB when I'm done :bassist:) but imovie 09 is completely different?:help:

are there any tutorials that can show me the leap in new features?

or even any tutorials that go past importing, that show editing in non-laymen terms (like using frames etc)?

I finally figured out how to see everything in frames but I cant make any edits less than 5 frames and the timeline is just soo different - i'm soo confused :help:

2. iMovie 09 sucks, doesn't it?

Apple took an incredible application and dumbed it down.
    iMovie HD 6 (6.0.4 to be exact) was the best -- simple, intuitive and
    powerful. I still use it. Hang on to it.

Here's another sick secret that they probably didn't tell you. iMovie 09
    doesn't support HD. Yes, it imports HD but it only outputs SD.

I don't know if it's a plot to get you to buy Final Cut or part of Steve Jobs'
    endeavor to prevent you from enjoying Blu-ray HD. Either way, it sucks.
    Apple should be ashamed.

3. Yup. A while ago I managed to find a page on Apple.com with a download for the iMovie HD. I think they allowed that option because they had so many complaints about the new version.

4. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Agree with the others. iMovie HD (old school 6.xx) is much much better. Just use that or go straight to Final Cut Express. I won't touch the '09 stuff. A timeline that wraps? Can you imagine a DAW that did this? Nonsense!

5. so I at least can work my way around in it now. can I run iMovie HD 6 on my machine? (mac pro, os10.6.4)

I agree - Apple is dumbing too much stuff down. That should be an option, not the way. . . no matter how mainstream they become I imagine their overwhelming majority of users are still professionals and/or geeks (like me :D . . . well the professional part anyways :p)

6. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Works fine on Snow Leopard.

7. really? That'd be very cool . . . I'll have to try installing it from my old system discs (or see if apple has a full version on their site . . .)

8. Stereo Joe is correct. For some time, Apple provided iMovie 6.0.4 online
    for those who bought iLife '08 and hated the new iMovie. If you can get
    this (PM me if you can't), it works fine with the latest Mac OS X.
    However, you may need a little trick to install it as it is looking for
    iLife08 before it will install:
    Open a terminal and type
    "touch /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iLife08.plist"
    (No quotes)
    Then, you can install iMovie 6.0.4.

9. cool - thanks for the info!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021