Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impact of body wood on NT's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ozellman, Nov 16, 2003.

1. ozellman

ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Sweden
    I'm in the process of ordering a custom 5 string and I've preferred bolt-on basses so far in my playing career simply beacuase I like the sound better than neck-through although I've had a few of those as well. Now the luthier I'm working with has built some nice NTs with maple/purple heart necks and hollow ash bodies with rosewood tops. Now I wonder what role the body wood plays in NT basses. The PUs, the bridge, the nut and the tuning machines are obviously attached to the neck whereas with set neck and BOs the bridge and the pickups are attached to the body and the sound of those should therefor be more impacted by the body wood used. Based on experience (and theory), can someone explain to me how much different body woods will impact the tone of NTs?

Thanks

Ozellman

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The tonal impact of the body wood is rather small. And very complicated: it depends on the mass and stiffnes distribution, meaning material and form. Such small ideas as where to fix the strap buttons have impact on the body vibrations/tone.

PS Vem bygger? DS

3. ozellman

ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Sweden
    Christian Ohlsson, Unicorn Custom Basses. Känner du honom?

4. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Huh? Jag kann inte förstår du... :eek:

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ar you sure? You did good!:D

Quick translation:
    - Who i sbuilding?
    - Christian O. Know him?
    - Not yet.

Some detaljs left out, that you'd understand anyway.;)

6. I dont think that the body wood has a significant enough effect on a NT to justify using one wood over another for tonal purposes. Plus the variation between samples of wood from the same species is very large, so you really can't control the tone that way anyway. And then you're going to laminate a different wood on top of it, making it completely impossible. Just get something that looks good.