Impedance help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kfsully, Oct 21, 2005.

1. kfsully

Oct 21, 2005
    I have recently bought an SWR goliath 3 4 x 10 8 ohm cab and an SWR 550x amp. I realize that with an impedance of 8 ohms i am only getting 375 watts out of a cab capable of 700. With 4 ohm cab i would get the full 550 that the amp is capabale of. I dont plan on using 2 cabs any time soon, so would exchanging my 8 ohm for a 4 ohm be a wise desicion to increase wattage? thanks... KFS :meh:
  2. No, because then you couldnt use 2 cabs
  3. I would keep the cab you've got. Trying to eek out afew more watts with a single cab isn't going to gain you much more volume.

Whereas adding a second cab WILL get you more volume, so that's IGAM's logic--I agree with him.

You'll be fine, just keep the lows flat and let the cab's natural midrange cut through the mix.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Are you finding that the rig isn't providing enough volume for you with an 8 ohm cab?

Or are you just in the mind set of 'I have to run my amp as full out as I can manage'...

Keep in mind you're going to get more volume out of it by running 2 cabs rather than one 4 ohm cab, as you'll have doubled the speaker real-estate...while if you run a single 4 ohm cab, you're only going to hear a slight increase in volume, as the ratio of wattage to volume isn't linear.
  5. kfsully

Oct 21, 2005
    thanks guys for the replies. the volume level I can get right now is def enough for an gigs i will be playing, so maybe Ill add another cab sometime in the future if i can ever afford it ;)