1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Impedance matching for Realist pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by nikolozj, Mar 24, 2017.

1. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    Hey everyone,

So the realist website says that the pickup impedance level is 10mg ohm. My amp's input impedance is 1M ohms (GK 112). I read that ideally an input impedance should be least 10 times bigger than the source impedance. In my case it's totally other way around. I'm still getting pretty loud sound, but I wonder if I get the amp that has higher input impedance, would that improve sound? Add more clarity?

:help:

Thanks!

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I've never had problems plugging a Realist straight into any amplifier.

Ric Vice, bassfran and SLO Surfer like this.
  3. s van order

s van order

Oct 4, 2012
    Delaware
    I am sorry I do not have a direct answer to your question. Fwiw, I use a Realist copper with cello and find boosting it with a preamp into my Markbass 12" combo produces a better sound. It helps me to A/B switch it with a Fender Jazz. Realist is advertised as not needing a boost but for me the boost helps. Hope this is useful.

4. A low input impedance cuts lows but also distorts the signal a bit, specially when the pickup signal gets high because you play louder. I'm pretty sure that they mean that an input impedance of 10 MegOhms works best with the Realist. That does not mean that the output impedance of the Realist is 10 MegOhms.

As drurb often mentioned, we don't want to match the impedances, but wants to have only a small (current) load (by a high input impedance on the immediately following amp stage) on the pickup to avoid deformation of the signal.
    It also seems that a certain load is optimal because of the load is too low, the crystal might resonate, so a much too high impedance (= very low load) can emphasize an unpleasant piezo crystal sound.

Ric Vice likes this.
  5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I've run the Realist (copper foil) at 1 Meg Ohm consistantly without any issues. Most modern amps are set at 1 Meg Ohm. The only pickups that really need 10 Meg Ohms, are the

Fishman BP-100 and Fishman Full Circle. Running the Realist at 10 Meg Ohms doesn't in and of itself, give you a more desirable sound. The difference is a subtile one.

6. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I have an older Realist pickup ('97, 2nd generation) that definitely requires a minimum input of 1M to sound good, e.g. Roland keyboard amps and many passive DIs shave off all the bottom end.

I recently plugged it into a Radial PZ-DI at 10M and couldn't believe all the extended low end I'd been missing at 1M. A very audible difference. Some of that low end is too much for a live stage, but nonetheless, it makes a difference.

My pickup's output is very hot too, so I've wondered if the newer models do work better at 1M and are not too hot.

7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I've had the same experience, but loading it at 5 Meg Ohms with the Headway EDB-2 did improve the sound to my ears.

That's why the Realist works really well with a Countryman Active DI. IME

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You can plug and play with the realist but a good pre-amp will make a difference in volume and sound.

9. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I've just been reading about the EDB-2, actually. I figured the 5M input would still be very good. And I saw your posts about using it with a DPA 4099. I've been wondering if it was worth it to blend the mic or better to just send it to FOH. I've tried both ways (w/o the EDB-2) and it was definitely easier to manage just sending it to FOH.

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Baleen,
    I've done it both ways. Sending the DPA 4099B FOH is way easier. Unfortunately the line out on the EDB-2 doesn't have a volume control, so you can't lower the signal level to an amplifier, without effecting the level FOH. I did find a workaround for this using a Taylor guitar cord with it's built in volume control, but it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped.