1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impedance / Ohms explained via Illustration in layman terms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WaynerBass, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. WaynerBass

WaynerBass Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    I have built a few home made cabs in my years, made a few mistakes along the way but I found this diagram and it is fool proof.. Explains Ohms per cab and breaks it down so you DON'T break down your rig by mis matching cabs and exceeding the Ohms limit set by your amp manufacturer. KIMG0009.

Fat Steve and kbakerde like this.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    But - that only covers parallel conections. How about series and series parallel? Oh, and the 'fridge has 32 ohm speakers so it needs to cover that too :p.

B-string likes this.
  3. Perfect for me: "Fun for The Feeble-Minded."

4. But now that you’ve got the ball rolling you have to illustrate the power going to each driver! :D

5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

DukeLeJeune and B-string like this.
  6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    That is an excellent online calculator. Thanks for posting the link; I had bookmarked it a while back but forgotten about it.

Playing around with something like that can be quite educational, and obviously it can let you know where the weak link would when you combine dissimilar cabs. Also gives you a look at relative heat dissipation when combining dissimilar value resistors.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

i can never "get the math right" in my head, once i found that site, i no longer had to--- it should be part of a sticky somewhere here--- !

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    B-string likes this.