Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impedance on my cab is 6.2Ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Velkov, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I was just playing around with my Yorkville 210 cabinet and for no reason at all decided to measure the impedance. It said 6.2 Ohms. That cabinet is supposed to be an 8 Ohm cabinet. The cabinet works perfectly. Is there an agreement between manufacturers to say that a cab is 8 ohms or 4 ohms even if their impedance is off by an ohm or two? Or is there something wrong with my cabinet?

2. The figure you got was the DC resistance. The actual impedance varies by frequency, since speakers are an RL circuit (and there's a crossover in there anyway); the "8 ohms" or "4 ohms" figures you commonly see quoted are average figures over a range of frequencies.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    No, its very common for speakers to read different than there actual rating. Someone more techy than me can explain it. As long as the amp sounds ok and is not running too warm, it should be just fine.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    when you check the impedance of a cabinet it will bounce around but should be about 3/4 of the stated impedance. i.e. 8 ohm cab = around 6; 4 = 3 on a DMM... in other words it's what it is stated to be...