Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impedance on vintage Ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 30, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I did a search but came up with nothing. Quick question: What is the impedance of a vintage Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabinet? My guess is 4 ohms but I'm waiting for someone to say 8. I'm looking to power one with a different head that only goes down to 4 ohms. Thanks!

2. They're 4 Ohms.
    Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for....:p

3. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Actually Mark, that IS the answer I was looking for. Now I can utilize more wattage from my GK head into the Ampeg cab!:D

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just looked at your profile and see that you use a '76 SVT head. I'm trying to date the one that comes with the 8x10 cabinet, so I was wondering how you dated yours so precisely. The best I can come up with from visiting the unofficial ampeg website is anywhere from '71-'75, although I have to check yet whether it has the plastic or metal logo on the front panel. Thanks!

5. I had to take it apart to date it precisely. There are manufacture dates printed on some of the components (the big caps mainly). Some of them are dated 1976 and some are dated 1975. Until you can look inside, you can only get a range of dates. The logo thing can be hit or miss. Mine's a '76 but it has the metal logo. Also from (I think) 1975 on, most of them had plastic front panels, but mine has an aluminum one. Psycho Bass Guy has a better handle on the history and dating of Ampegs than I do, perhaps he'll chime in....