Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impedance plug-in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gweimer, Oct 16, 2000.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    This is something that I don't even know about, but I thought I'd ask everyone here. I have this old Fender Bassman head, but my 4-ohm cabinet has gone to Fender heaven, so now I've got a 1x15 8-ohm cabinet. I just don't like the way it sounds (I took one of the speakers from the original cab) running at 8 ohms. I'm torn between trying to get a new 2x15 4-ohm cab, but I don't want to shell out the money (could be touchy here right now...you know what I mean!), so I got to thinking. Does anyone market something that can be plugged into my other speaker jack to bring the amp down to 4 ohms without adding another speaker? I mean, we're talking about a resistor soldered onto a 1/4" jack, right?
    Anyone got anything that could help me?

2. Build one! 8 Ohms, 20 Watt rated would probably be OK, 50 Watts even better.

Chris

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't think that this will help - your cab will see only half of the power, the other half will be transformed into heat in the resistor.
    Just a guess, I'm not an expert on this.

Matthias

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't recommend using a resistor. You'll need a big one (at least 50 watts), it will waste power, could get very hot, and even start a fire if it's near anything combustible. You have to know what you're doing. There are devices like "Power Brake" that you can use (which are probably safe if the right size is used), but again - it costs money and will waste power.

On the other hand, you might consider buying a 4-ohm 15" speaker to take the place of your 8-ohm driver. That would be the best route if you don't want to deal with 2x15.
    - Mike

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks. After reading the first couple posts, I thought about the 4-ohm speaker route. Now I just gotta find someone that sells them near me.

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, thanks! Now, to really screw the whole thing up...since I also use my 1x15 cab for an extension on my Crate, will running my Crate with this on cause it to be unstable? I think with the 8-ohm speaker in the Crate, that would make the whole setup run at....3 ohms?

[Edited by gweimer on 10-17-2000 at 03:41 PM]