Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impedence question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 28, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    How can you wire two 8 Ohm cabs so the amp only sees an 8 Ohm load??
    Or is it only 4 or 16 Ohms?

amp + to cab1 +
    cab1 - to cab2 +
    cab2 - to amp -

2. No can do. In parallel it'll be 4ohms and you can't wire them in series without comitting unnatural acts.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The only way is to open up the cabs and rewire the speakers, but I cannot tell you specifically what to do, as I dunno what kinda cabs you have.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ya'll look at his wiring, I *think* he may be using bananna plugs, which in that case, I *think* he can pull off 8 ohm load. I'm trying to work on it right now lol, it's been so long since I've done any wiring though...

Ray

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmm, says he has a 310 and 110 in his pro. In order to get 8 ohms out of the 310, one speaker has to be a different impedance than the others. :meh:

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Yep.

7. Wire the cabs in parallel and you have 4 Ohms, wire them in series and you have 16. There aren't any other possibilities without internal changes. :D

8. 24 Ohm drivers. ;)

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    hehe, reminds me...I used to have (2) 2x15s and a 4x12, and out the jack hole, I had the +/- wires for each speaker there, and made these plugs that you'd plug them into, letting you have any wiring choice you want. I had a sheet of paper duct-taped, then clear packaging taped to each cab showing how the wires should go for x impedence for that cab, and how you can wire any cabs to get x load. I think everyone should do that :D

Ray

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I'm not gonna be using the 310 in this rig and the little 110/combo is well, a little 110/combo.
    I should have mentioned this, I guess people do read the profiles huh!??!?! :meh:
    Anywho, I'm looking at another rig with Bag End 115 (S15X-D) cabs. Both cabs are 8 ohms.
    My power amp is max- 900 watts bridged at 8 ohms, 450 a side at 4 ohms.
    I was hoping there was something strange that I never thought of/heard of before.
    I get the impedence stuff, but on another thread they mentioned something like this and I wanted to flush it out a bit more.
    Looks like I'm ending up a bit on the short end here though :meh:
    Thanks guys :)