Impedence Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Jan 21, 2003.

1. I assume, this is a no-brainer, but I really don't if I want to get a 4 ohm cab or 8 ohm cab (so I can add anther 8 to pull out the extra power from 4 ohms). I'm leaning towards the Avatar b115 cab which comes in an 8 or 4 ohm version. Considering money is vey tight, I'm thinking about gettin the 4 ohm version, so I can pull out 350 watts from the hartke 3500 head I don't own yet:) .

Question is, Is if I remember correctly, I only saw two 8 ohm outputs from the owner's manual I downloaded. Say, The amp pushed 240 watts at 8 ohms, and 350 at 4 ohms,bu what if i just plug ONE 4 OHM cab to that amp??? Will I get the 350 watts?

Stupid question thats probably not even worth answering:p ... Still, I'm dumb.

If I do get an 8 ohm cab, will there be noticeal LESS headroom/sound quality as I'd only be pulng 240 watts out rather than 350?

Hartke addictions blow... I want something cheap, but with (***OPINION***) good tone, and I like Hartke tone..
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Yeah, you would get the full 350 W that way. There'd be a slight increase in headroom/sound quality, but it wouldn't be exceptionally noticeable.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can't see it being a problem. Hartke have probably just assumed that all bass players use 2 cabs at 8 ohm each, or they're just trying to help.

Actually it could be a problem if that amp is a similar design to the Fender amp (BRX 400) I used to own. It had a similar design for the outputs, but that was because it wasn't really a single 400w amp but 2 seperate 200watt amps in one unit. As far as I know Hartke didn't make any amps in this way but I could be wrong.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Maybe you should steer clear of the impedence threads! ;) :D

brad cook
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    On the contrary, I'm a bloody expert now! I had one hell of an education.