1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Impedence Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Jan 21, 2003.

1. I assume, this is a no-brainer, but I really don't if I want to get a 4 ohm cab or 8 ohm cab (so I can add anther 8 to pull out the extra power from 4 ohms). I'm leaning towards the Avatar b115 cab which comes in an 8 or 4 ohm version. Considering money is vey tight, I'm thinking about gettin the 4 ohm version, so I can pull out 350 watts from the hartke 3500 head I don't own yet:) .

Question is, Is if I remember correctly, I only saw two 8 ohm outputs from the owner's manual I downloaded. Say, The amp pushed 240 watts at 8 ohms, and 350 at 4 ohms,bu what if i just plug ONE 4 OHM cab to that amp??? Will I get the 350 watts?

Stupid question thats probably not even worth answering:p ... Still, I'm dumb.

If I do get an 8 ohm cab, will there be noticeal LESS headroom/sound quality as I'd only be pulng 240 watts out rather than 350?

Hartke addictions blow... I want something cheap, but with (***OPINION***) good tone, and I like Hartke tone..

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, you would get the full 350 W that way. There'd be a slight increase in headroom/sound quality, but it wouldn't be exceptionally noticeable.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can't see it being a problem. Hartke have probably just assumed that all bass players use 2 cabs at 8 ohm each, or they're just trying to help.

Actually it could be a problem if that amp is a similar design to the Fender amp (BRX 400) I used to own. It had a similar design for the outputs, but that was because it wasn't really a single 400w amp but 2 seperate 200watt amps in one unit. As far as I know Hartke didn't make any amps in this way but I could be wrong.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Petebass,

Maybe you should steer clear of the impedence threads! ;) :D

j/k

brad cook

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    On the contrary, I'm a bloody expert now! I had one hell of an education.