Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impending Move to Houston: What is the Music Scene Like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Folmeister, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hey, Gang:
    It looks like my next move will be out of California and into Texas. Houston is looking more and more like the destination of choice. Does anyone know what the music scene is like in and around the Houston area? Any insight, tips, or suggestions?

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yo man i grew up in houston.

there is no "scene". but it's a big city so you can find whatever you want.

what kinda tunes are you into?

my fav spot is the "gallant knight" a SICK straight funk and soul band every saturday night. 5 hot girls to every guy dancing.

3. Tippin' on 4 4's wrapped in 24's

4. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Outside of The Loop (Loop 610), it's primarily covers in the local bars. Originals are more the norm inside The Loop. Blues and Classic Rock are the suburban staple. Although the scene is not as active as you would expect in the 4th largest city in America :rollno: , there are venues for just about any kind of music that you'd like. Country, blues, classic rock covers, alt rock covers and Tejano are probably the most popular. However, you'll find that hip-hop, jazz, Worldbeat, Americana and the various harder rock are also well represented. To get a handle on the music scene, try the following publications (some may be on-line): Houston Press, Gator Press, North of the Border, Texas Music News and The Bulletin (Conroe). I'm sure other Houstonians will chime in with suggestions for other publications.

Several of the local and national on-line musician's locator sites have extensive listings for bands an musicians in town.

5. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thank you. I am sadly leaving an acoustic/electric cover/original group that has a steady diet of private, club, and corporate gigs. I am a rock troll mostly, but looooove modern pop country and Mexican-inspired music. I am just curious if I was going to fins anything similar in the area. Sounds like I am.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Cover bands own this area. If it isn't a cover band, its an Emo band in my area of Houston

7. Any particular reason you are headed to Houston? Austin has a pretty killer scene you know....

Peace,

T

8. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Houston needs, and seems to appreciate, teachers. Houston has a charter prep academy actually impressed with my professional achievement. I am but one of many teaching professionals who are being driven out of California.

9. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Best of luck with the new teaching position! If you are in to Hispanic-based music, you will probably be able to find a gig here (especially in the more commercially appealing Tejano stuff). When you get here, check out the boards in the music stores. The posting board at Parker Music on I-45 North always has a bunch of Tejano postings. As well, the southwest side of town has an outstanding variety of music (VERY multi-cultural).

If you would rather play modern country, you will have absolutely no problem hooking up with other gigging musicians in the suburbs of the north or south side of the city.

10. God Bless you!! Cops and Teachers are among the most important professions there are and both are very underpaid and under appreciated!! Thank you for making a diference in an uncaring world....Good luck and God Bless......

Peace,

T

11. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  12. gotta say that bassontherun pretty much nailed what i see as Houston Music scene.
    What he didn't mention is we have "rockin-robin" a decent music retailer. They have a very nice collection of mid to high end gear to play w/. Pretty knowledgable staff as well and we have a slew of amazing gospel players in town. These guys play 10hr a day, and are just sick to hang w/ at the store.
    Hopefully when you come to houston it will be our "winter" else you'll get here -it will be 99F w/ 98% humidity and you'll climb back on the plane. did anyone mention houstons hot?
    As for findingg gigs in town, those news rags like the houston press are an excellent resource, also consider houstonbands.net (under the gig section) and harmony-central.com look under browse or place a musician ad. if you use a inner loop zipcode you'll find a few bands looking for players.
    Houston definately needs teachers (texas is 49th in reading)
    frank