Import costs from Spain to the US - any experience or advice would he helpful

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgrackle, Feb 16, 2020.

1. bassgrackle

bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    While I have shipped many basses out of the country, I have never made a purchase out of the US. I’m looking at a really nice one located in Spain listed at $1,500. From my research I am finding the import duties are 2.9% plus my state sales tax of 6.625%.

Is there any more to it? Are there any other fees and taxes that I am not aware of?

Any advice on imports from Spain and/or the Netherlands would be awesomely helpful.

Thanks
    Alex

2. bassgrackle

bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    I’ve never had a post go unanswered. Has no one ever shipped a bass from a Spain to the US?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I bought a vintage guitar from Spain last year, I don't recall there being any additional fees, I'll check my records and see.

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. bassgrackle

bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Thanks that would be really appreciated. This one would be coming from a retailer. Not sure if that makes a difference.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Only difference I would think is a retailer is less likely to be willing to try to bend the rules. Anyway, I can't find any record of extra charges for my shipment, though I haven't found a customs notice (if any) yet.

6. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    What I've done in the past when importing to Canada is ask a broker since they deal with everything for a fee... Usually worth it on purchases 1500USD and up IMO.