Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Import information !!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lewibassist, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Hello i am realy confused about the the cost involved to import a bass into this country. Can someone please explain the type of things i mite be charged on. For example import tax and customs. I live in the uk and i am looking to ship a bass from the US. Does anyone else live in the uk and import basses from America .If so could u give me an idea on what procedures you have to go through and what i will be charged on . All information will be greatly appreciated .

Lewis

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  3. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    Yo Im a UK lad. is it essential that u get the bass from the US? Im no expert butonce i was gonna get an amp head sent from that neck of the woods and it would be somewhere in the £100 at the very least

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I posted a breakdown of the costs on this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119580

What I said:
    If you were to import a Lakland from the US to the UK, you'd have to pay 3% import duty on the value of the bass plus postage & packing, and then 17.5% on top of that, plus whatever brokerage fee the courier sees fit to add on for processing it (usually about £10 in my experience).

So, for a $1200 bass, with $100* shipping:
    $1300 = £725 (ish - based on today's rate)
    + 3% Import tax (£21.75)
    = £746.75
    +17.5% VAT (£130.60)
    = £876.84
    + Courier's handling fee ( £10 )
    = £886.84

*a figure plucked from the air; I don't know how much it'd cost to ship the bass from the US.

I've never had a full bass shipped from the US, so I can't recommend any stores or couriers, but with the exchange rate the way it is, now's a good time to be buying .

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The other thing is - what do you do if it is damaged in transit, or is not exactly what you asked for?

So - you have the additional cost of shipping it back and forward, plus all the time without the bass and it may be difficult to resolve?

6. I pondered this very thing (thread here somewhere) just this week.

Bruce came to the rescue with a dose of good sense...as he is wont to do. ;).

Whilst the pound is quite good at the moment (so I'm told) I think there are too many risks in this idea. I decided against, despite the US prices being good. At the end of the day I just wasn't prepared to risk my hard-earned.

John

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You might check in with 'Gard' for some input.

Gard Lewis at Bass Central, in Orlando FL, is experienced in UK and Euro sales. Nice guy with great reputation among the bass community.

Also, many customers will take a Disney World/Universal Studios vaca and do Bass Cetral as well, try out the basses they might want, and choose and bring it back themselves ... always an option.

It certainly is nice to play the bass, all are different and having so many excellent instruments availble in one spot is
    quite a resource.