Import Tobias + Zebrawood = Hippobass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirk Diggler, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Well I just had to post the pictures of the revamp of my Tobias.
    I almost put this in the Luthier area, but I'm not a luthier, nor is it a question to the pros. So if this isn't the right forum please feel free to move it.

It's called the Hippobass because when it's on it's side in playing mode, the top horn looks like a hippo head, with a large corpulent body and the funky feet on the bottom. Well at least that's what it reminded me of. :)

I used the neck-thru which was de-fretted years ago and it already had 32 coats of poly on it and it always felt great.
    Hacked the wings off, designed the new wings with a definate hint of one of my Bob Frenz basses. The body wings are at a 5 degree angle to give some contour. I'd be curious to hear others thoughts on this, I'm quite happy and proud of the outcome. It was a lot of fun/thinking/work, but it was all worth it. My next project will be to actually make a neck, then perhaps I can call myself a luthier in training.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. It's, ummm... interesting. :)

But you've done a nice job of getting what you wanted. Good work.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Fan mail from some flounder?

Nice Dirk, dig the "antlers". Can't wait to play it one day.
  4. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    How's the balance? The Hippo horn looks a bit short to me...
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Change the spelling to Hip-O Bass, cuz that thing's definitely hip!

I'd hit it, long time.

Then again I loved that pair of Frenz headlesses that I couldn't afford on eBay when they were up =0)
  6. I'd have kept the original nice Tobias body shape.....I dunno quite what to make of it.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    NOOOO!!!!!! :eek:

What happened?????
  9. I think it is real cool. Very unique--lots of personality, ya know?
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Very cool! :cool:

Then again, I would expect nothing less from a man in these pants:
    Is that the bass than is now the Hippo Bass?
  11. Thanks folks!
    The balance on it is perfect! She'll sit level hands off and if you pull it up it'll stay there too. I think due mainly to the sheer weight of the Zebrawood, and where I put the flush mounted strap locks. :) And I love mail from flounders Passinwind! And you're welcome to strap her on anytime. I never felt the old body to be comfortable at all, that's one reason for the change. And why keep the shape of the way it was? If I'm going to alter something and make it truly mine, it has to be different. And yeah Jammadave, at least I ended up with the fretted one, both would have been nice. And I have to LOL Mark, busted again, I knew that picture would haunt me. Hahaha And yes that was the before picture, this thread has the after.
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention the increase in sustain was huge with the dense wood and larger size. It plays like a completely different bass now, and the mwah seems to have increased. Which seems odd since nothing was done to the fretboard, it was already poly and mwah'ed well, now it just buttery goodness. :)
  12. Looking at the way you hold your bass (with the upper horn tucked under your right chest, and not more across the middle of your body) I can definitely see why this body style suits you better. The little "dip" on the top the "hippo head" fits in nice and snug unlike the old style top horn.

The "funky feet" while I can see that as being just a little bit of personal "taste" (although some may argue otherwise).

Anyway, I believe you got exactly the effect you were after and did a fine job! Who can argue with you about that.

Congrats! A TRULY custom bass. Nice work!
  13. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Hippo bass compliments the Hippie pants!
  14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    you forgot to mention bout the sparkle n' pink shoes
  15. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    niether do I. :confused:
  16. Well to be honest, it's's the vilest bass veer.....what you did to that tobias is criminal......sorry, but it's my opinion.
  17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow , i think you did an excellent job of woodworking . it seems like the body would rest against you very nicely !
    why did you decide to use the zebrawood , considering it's weight and cost ? has it affected the sound at all ?
    again , nice job ... :cool:
  18. Thanks for all the comments!
    FYI those are silver shoes with red trim, perhaps you need to check your monitor calibration. :)

Well vile is an interesting word to use, I was really look for obtuse, obscene, bloated, perverse, flatulent even, but vile?
    OK I'll have to add that to the list. ;) And if that's criminal I should have been locked up long ago, but thanks for the comment and your honesty.

And David, I chose Zebra since it's a similar match to one of my Bob Frenz basses, in body shape and wood. It is heavy but that doesn't bother me, so is the other bass. It has increased the sustain and overall tone greatly. Also a local lumber place had 8" x 1 3/4" thick in stock, and it called to me. They also have some very nice Wenge I have my eye on for the next one I build. There's going to be at least Wenge in the neck and perhaps the body.
  19. I see you're using Flite cabs too... interestingly unlike you weight does matter to me as I have a bad back, which is why I got Flite.