1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Importance of Attitude

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by billjr, Dec 22, 2006.

1. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    Lately, I have become an even stronger believer that our attitudes are much more imortant for our success than most people realize. In fact, I think attitude is the single most important factor, with those understanding this having the greatest ability to overcome any obstacle to success, while those that do not realize this being the people we see having the most difficult time achieving even the most basic forms of success.

I'm sure some of you have some thoughts on this, and just wanted to get some other's opinions. I'm not trying to get political, becuase I feel that good and bad attitudes cross political lines, so I hope we can keep this discussion going without it turning into a political debate and getting deleted.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Attitude is important but not most imporant. A pessimist who works hard will get further than an optimist who doesn't. This is just stating the obvious, but I just have to say it because people endow "attitude" with an almost mystical quality.

And I don't know why this would relate to politics at all.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Completely agree. I can't think of anything where a bad attitude gets you far. Except professional wrestling maybe. :)
    I have employed and managed many people over the years and to a point, I will take a good attitude over more talent with a bad attitude any day. I also don't consider pessimism a bad attitude. Constructive pessimism is a good thing. ;)

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    By bad attitude do you mean prick? Because that's different. That might get you even further in the business world if you have no qualms about shafting people.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I agree with this. There are great atheletes, musicians...great everythings with a bad attitude. I prefer being around somebody with a positive attitude though. You can have different attitudes about different things. I don't know if one attitude about everything describes a person.

6. I think "the pessimist who works hard will get more accomplished than the optimist who doesn't" is a more accurate statement. Unfortunately, getting more accomplished doesn't mean you'll get further. Many times "getting further" is directly related to your supervisor's/customer's/etc opinion of you regardless of your ability or production. In my experience, percieved attitude is everything in the business world.

In an interview, the most important thing you can project is attitude. My current employer took my (decently impressive) resume and turned it face down during the whole process and hired me on the spot. This kind of first impression gets you in the door. Maintaining it keeps you in the building even if you're a bit slower than the pack.

I guess my point is I'll have to respectfully disagree. "Mystical"? no. But nobody wants to work with Debbie Downer or anyone that complains or bitches all day long no matter how much they can get done. I know. I've been fired from a job I absolutely destroyed at because of my attitude. I'm not sure how old you guys are, but I'd advise you don't test your theory at any job you enjoy.

Mike

7. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I think there are real positive attitudes and fake positive attitudes. The people with real positive attitudes think positive and DO. They get up and DO something. They get a lot accomplished, and they don't let obstacles stop them. They acknowledge the bad things in life but they keep moving despite them.

Then there are the fake positive attitudes. They go around saying cheerful things but they never do anything. And they won't look at the bad things in life. They pretend they don't exist. This is NOT the same as acknowledging the bad things in life and moving on.

There are also the people with a bad attitude who go around destroying others. They think that since they can't get ahead, no one else should be able to either. Those people suck.

Then there are those who grumble grumble grumble but they get their work done accurately.

So there are different shades of gray, and just because you have a 'good attitude' doesn't mean you're going to get somewhere. Especially if your cheery disposition comes from the inability to face the bad things in this world. Grumblers may get work done, but they're no fun to be around.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    w00t REPRAZENIN'!!!

If I'm going to do something, I going to make sure everybody else around me knows I don't wanna do it. But I'll do it anyway. :meh:

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I used to work with a guy who was CONSTANTLY bitching about his salary! That guy was such a pain in the ass to simply be around.

10. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I guess I included the political part because I got the original idea after listening to Air America. I normally listen to conservative radio talk shows. I deleted the intro explaining that, which I guess took out the possibility of this becoming political.

I still think attitude is the most important aspect towards success. Not the attitude someone may have towards other people, but the attitude they have towards their goal. While I am not a pessimist, and think that pessimism shows a poor attitude towards the world, I don't think that attitude is as strong a factor as the good attitude that a pesimist might have towards hard work.

That makes me wonder if people have differing attitudes towards different things, and it's a person's overall attitude that really makes the diffference.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    "Success"...what a subjective word. Please define.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Pessimism is awesome. You're either right or pleasently surprised.

You also tend to have a Plan B ready.

13. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Optimists often have a Plan B as well. And a plan C. And a plan D. Being optimistic doesn't mean you always succeed on the first try, but you do succeed in the end. You just keep trying because you know you can do it. :D

14. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I think success is defined by the individual, and can be had at many levels. Unfortunatley, too many people think of success only in terms of income, but I think you can define success any way you want. I do think it basically envolves a goal that you establish, and success includes the journey towards accomplishing that goal, not just the final accomplishment.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    This is gonna sound weird, but I've accomplished things only because I thought I could do it, not realizing I "couldn't". Good thing I didn't ask anybody first, before trying.

16. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    I think good manners, good hygiene, and presentable and appropriate attire are undervalued. (really)

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    My point:

I knew I was going to fail my astronomy class. I got around 50% average on my homework, a 35 out of 110 on my midterm and didn't study enough for the final. I knew I was going to fail. I went and took the midterm anyway. Came in late (not by choice) and left early (didn't know what else to write...) and wrote maybe enough for a 30% on it.

What happened? I got a 2.1. Yes, I PASSED the class. Who'da thunk it?

18. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'd vote for interpersonal and social skills before attitude.

19. I'd vote that poor attitude generally negatively affects your interpersonal/social skills. Like has been mentioned, no one wants to hang with or even talk to some guy with nothing good to say.

For me (in the "career" sense), success is achieved when both my employer and I get what we want out of my employment.

....and in the real world, there are at least two kinds of people I'd hire after you were canned. 1) the guy who doesn't wanna do it, won't tell anyone that he doesn't want to do it and does it anyway. And 2) The guy who does want to do it, doesn't tell anyone and does it anyway. To be sure, 2 is preferable over 1, but neither of them bitch.

Mike

20. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    So they would have bad social skills then.