Importance of customer service vs. quality/sound of product

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davo737, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've frequently found myself torn between the two. I won't mention any names, but there are two companies in the bass world whose products I love. But, I've had more than one less than stellar customer service experience with both. Nothing terrible, but more or less instances of being blown off - mostly emails and phone calls going unanswered/unreturned. On the other hand, I've experiences with other companies (some of whose products I don't even own) where I was treated like their most famous endorser.

For whatever reason, customer service is huge with me - maybe it's because, being self employed, I place a huge value on making sure every one of my clients feels like they're the only one. Who knows. The point is, when it comes time to buy new gear, as much as I like certain products, I find myself not wanting to give them repeat business.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this subject - which do you value more? Is product quality all that matters? Is it a balance? Or does it not matter how good the product is if they never have the time to answer your questions?

2. If I was to buy it new then I would like to balance it out. I would want a quality product, with great costumer service to back up their warranty just in case something happened.
  3. In today's world of corporate greed and sellouts / buyouts of companies, the customer service you love or hate today can change 180 degrees overnight.

I guess sometimes I value reliability (in addition to sound quality / cust. svc.) because, if you never have problems with it, you take cust. svc. out of the equation.

In looking at some of the more expensive items I own (Eden WT600 head, SWR GIII cabinet, Mackie CFX16 mixer, QSC power amp) half of the companies have changed ownership since I bought the product.

I'd bet the person answering questions or tech support have changed as well.