important amp question..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ya'll might see this as a lame question, but I've owned and used combo amps throughout my life and just made a trade for a hartke 2000.

need this question answered by tomorrow afternoon.

can I use a 4 ohm 1X12 PA cabinet with the head for a low volume gig? it will save me from lugging the 4X10s and would make things a real lot easier.

I don't understand the whole ohms thing, 8 ohms, 4 ohms, what you can use with what and what not and watts....... :) .

please answer my first question and if ya can explain a little that would be cool too. thanks.
  2. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    If you're doing low volume stuff, I wouldn't worry about harming the speaker. [disclaimer] I bear no responsibility should the speaker blow [/disclaimer]

As far as the ohm thing. There are about 6.2 billion people in the world who know more about this stuff than I do. In short though, ohm ratings and allowances are kind of like a step-down type system in reverse. You can run (1) 4 ohm cab out of your 4 ohm head and it'll run at 200 watts. You can run( 1) 8 ohm cab and it'll put out around 120 watts. 16 ohm, 80 watts or so. That being said, you can plug (2) 8 ohms's or (4) 16 ohms to take advantage of the whole 200 watts. Get it? BTW, it would probably bad to run (2) 4 ohm cabs out of your amp.
  3. Well, what's the power handling on the cabinet (and at how many ohms) and how many watts does the head put out at that impedance?
  4. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Harke 2000 puts out 200 watts @ 4 ohms.