Important aspects of being a musician

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Jul 10, 2001.

1. What does everyone think are the most important aspects of being a musician? I think first and foremost you have to love music, you need to be a fan. I don't see how someone could possibly pick up an instrument, learn how to play it well, compose music etc. without enjoying music. I think loving music is more important than whether you know all the modes and scale patterns and playing techniques, all though they would come in handy. After being a fan, is knowing how to play the instrument enough to compose stuff, which is where everything technique/theory oriented would come in handy. Thats all I'm gonna say for now. Too tired to think... gotta get up early tomorrow...
  2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Its gotta definatly be for love of the music. I agree that you cant be a decent musician if you have no love for what you are playing. I also think if you are going to be succesful you need a good personality, whether it is hanging out with people after local shows, or making it big and doing interviews. The personality is a key.
  3. to be or not to be.. :D

i think there are 3 things that are absolutely required for being a musician..

1) passion for music
    2) inspiration
    3) social problem( alchoholic, bad marriage, junky, etc )

item 3 leads to item 2, which leads to item 1 :)