Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Important help????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FreeThinker 444, Jan 2, 2004.

1. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    Okay...

My bass has suddenly seemed to not be working correctly with the amp. When I turn on the amp, you can hear it "pop" on, when you slide the plug in and out of the inputs/outputs, you can hear it come out of the amp. Also, sometimes it will pick up a "slap" but sounds ****ed up kinda. As far as playing any strings, nothing comes out of the amp. What the heck is going on???

All the connections are set and all.... :(

2. Do you have an active bass? Could be as simple as the battery.

If not that, can you try another bass through the amp? Or try the bass through another amp? Try to eliminate one to find where the problem is.

3. repair01

repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    ye thats just about all you can do unless you want to sed one or the other to a shop to have them checked out but that'll cost ya some money.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    First off, it's not a good idea to plug or unplug anything while the amp is on, unless all the volume controls are turned all the way down.

Things to check:

Different instrument and speaker cables.

Wiring inside the bass. You can check for loose connections by plugging in the bass with the amp volume set low and carefully wiggling the wires and tapping on the switches and pots in the bass.

I would not recommend this procedure with your amp, as there are dangerous voltages inside, and you can do more damage by accidently shorting a circuit.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    My bet is on the cable from the bass being the problem.

6. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    I tried different wites...Its a brand new bass, but it may be a bunk battery. im gonna have to check it out....

im aggravated.

any more suggestions?

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well if you want to keep your amp in tact and stop it from dying on you, DONT pull the leads out while the amp is on, at least have the volume right down.

8. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    Thank you all for the good advice and pointers. I really appreciate it a lot.

GOOD NEWS: The problem only stemmed from a dead battery. I guess the factory hooked me up with a bunk battery. I am very relieved. Thanks a lot evreyone. :)

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So much for being a free thinker :p...sorry, just had to. Glad you got it fixed!

10. FreeThinker 444

FreeThinker 444

Dec 18, 2003
    LMAO...hey, im new at this. lol:spit: