Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Important!!!!!! I need advice now

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, May 27, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I am going to guitar center tomorrow and there is a very good chance that I am going to get my first rig.I am going to go with Ampeg. Heres where I need the advice. I am willing to spend as much money as I need to put this rig together. I dont want to have to really look back and wonder if I did the right thing or not, since it is costing me so much money. I play mainly bass heavy music like reggae and am looking for those deep, powerful, warm lows. Here are some of my thoughts.
    First, the amp:
    What Ampeg amp should I go with to get the most possible power?Lets say if I wanted to use more than one 8ohm cab.Is the svt4pro the most powerful ampeg head?Would it be better to go with a preamp,poweramp setup?If so what setup?What is better/worse about the svt-cl or 2 as opposed to a head like the svt4?I guess this refers to tube power amp vs. mf power amp. The svt-4,2,3 and cl all have tube preamp though.
    Next, the cab:
    One thing that I have been considering about a cab is weight and size. Should I go with a 2 8ohm cab set up or one powerful 4ohm? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Is the sound of the B-series different from the svt(classics)?Which is better?What cab setup would give me the best, lowest,warmest sound?
    This is mainly my concerns.At least I am sure that I want to go ampeg.Please if anyone can try and answer any or all of my questions, I would appreciate it so much. Everyone's opinions and insight are welcome.This is a big deal for me cause of my first rig, the $$$,and I will put a lot of time into playing through it for band practice and gigs.I am taking what everyone says into deep consideration and when I go to GC I will experiment with my options by trying different setups for my own ear and judgement. I really value all the opinions that talkbassers have and they are always helpful.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Irie01,

If I were to choose the most powerful Ampeg head with a cab combination that gives a good power/quality/weight ratio, I'd take the following setup :

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head
    Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab x 2

Hope this helps,

3. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    IMO it's hard to beat 18" speakers for low end rumble. You lose a lot of definition if you use them by themselves, so I use them with a 4 x 10 cabinet. I don't know if Ampeg makes an 18" bass cabinet. You might look at PA speakers if the store has them. Watch your impedance if you decide to go with more than one big speaker and a set of 10" -- a lot of 18" speakers are 4 ohm. Also they are usually big and heavy.

I'm assuming you want a standalone rig and will not be playing through a PA. If you will be I would just get a smaller setup (4 x 10) so you can hear yourself and rumble though the PA subwoofers. Play everything you might be interested in before purchase, or get some sort of return policy if you can. Good luck and enjoy!

DK

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I was going to suggest the same thing. a 410 and a 1 18. Ampeg no longer makes a 1 18 cab but you can still find them used for a pretty low price.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you want an 18 I'd get an SWR Big Ben.

For the amp I would definently get a svp-pro preamp, and large power amp! That would sound alot better than n svt 4 pro. If you get something other than ampeg there are lots of other great pres too.

If you absolutely must get ampeg, I'd get the 6x10HLF or a PR410HLF.

6. I'm running two ampeg 4x10's hlfs cab's at 4ohms and they sound pretty damn good. I'm happy with my ampegs. And yes the cabs are heavy about 91lbs each. Hope this helps.

7. From what you seem to be looking for, I'd suggest the B4R for the head. Built in crossover which will be important if you want that ultra deep bass like you hear a lot of raeggae players getting. The B4R is all solid state -- 1000 watts bridged into 4 ohms, or if you use the twin amps separately (as with the crossover), you get 205 per channel in 8 ohms and 340 at four ohms. This would enable you to use two four ohm cabinets and you would be pushing a total of almost 700 watts. If THATS not enough for you, you do pretty much have to go with a component system with a separate preamp and power amp.

I have no comment on speaker cabinets. I use homemade boxes with JBL E140's, myself. However, if I were to buy a cabinet, I don't think Ampeg is the best value for the money. Love the amps. Don't love the speakers. Would recommend Avatar speakers, which are sold over the internet (http://avatarspeakers.com). Quality components and the prices are amazing. I'm thinking of getting a 210 cab from them.

Lots of luck with your search.
    Brad

8. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I'd go with the SVP-pro preamp. A carvin DCM 1000 power amp. An ampeg SVT 410 HE (8ohm) and an ampeg SVT 1x15. That will get you bottom, power, and definition to boot. In fact this is my dream set-up lol. Maybe if you're playing reggae you might want to get a compressor, and a power conditioner is always nice for a rig no matter what the music. I don't think you can really go wrong if you're going ampeg though, just don't get the B series cabs. I don't really care for them.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Seriously, promise me you'll try out a Henry the 8x8, while you're there. That cab IS Dub! The only reason I could see for not getting it in a Dub setting is it is only 480RMS. I like the focus of a 4x10 a little better, but that is a great cab!

You could then use an ampeg with it to warm it up a bit. (I'd suggest an alembic pre though)

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd agree with Chris on the Ampeg cabs...I believe that the PR 410HLF (not the Classic Series) is Ampeg's best kept secret. It's an awesome sounding cabinet and the one I always choose when playing basses at GC. If my back didn't suck, I own one or two also.

The SVT610HLF is a close second...

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When money is no object, Ampeg is not the amp.

12. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Alright. I went to guitar center today and tried out several different Ampeg heads and cabs.First I'll tell you what i found out.
    I first plugged into the svt-4pro and tried it out with several different cabs. First the pr410hlf. It was very nice and loud, but I did not like something about that cab.I'm not to a point where I can personally describe what it is I hear in amps, but i know that I hear differences and what sounds pleasant and more pleasant to my ears.I then tried the svt810's. Man, that was exactly what I wanted. I swear that that was the sweetest sounding cab I heard. The only problem is that I am constantly moving from to place to place to practice and play. Size and weight were a very strong factor in making my choice.Moving that thing as much as I do would kill me. So I passed. Next was the svt610's and svt 410's. Both sounded very good to me. The 610's was certanily more of what I wanted, but then the size and weight factor came in. I just couldnt do it. I actually settled for the svt-410hlf(4ohms) at $635.It was a bit smaller than both 810 and 610hlf's and stil sounded very nice to me. I thought about getting a svt410cab(8ohms) and a svt115(8ohms), but when I plugged into them seperatley I noticed a lot of hiss and not very defined sound out of them. So I passed on that idea.Plus the svt410hlf was cheaper.
    Now mind you, all of this was thru the svt-4 pro. The only one there I also wanted was the svt-cl. When I tried the svt-cl into all these cabs I loved it.Even more than the svt-pro. There certainly was a much deeper, warmer tone out of it.More of what I wanted, but it was also a few hundred bucks more. I also thought about the tubes and the idea of more maintance and weight. I really liked the tube more and would swear that the tube sound is where it's at.Especially for the music I play. I just thought that the svt-4 could still produce some killer tones for less $$$ and maintance.So I went with the 4 pro I hope that I am making the right choice, but it is not too late to change my mind.Tell me what you think.

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Irie01,

Regarding to the economy you did with the SVT-410HLF, and since you like the SVT-CL more than the SVT4-Pro, I guess you should consider a SVT2-Pro. It's just a bit more expensive than the SVT-CL.

Other opinion : unless you are definately stuck with Ampeg, I guess you should try out an Ashdown ABM head. The natural bottom-end of these heads is fully compliant with the wide frequency response of the SVT-410HLF. But once again, it's a very personal opinion.

All the best,

14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You shoulda tried out a Henry.

Anyways, try the SVT2-Pro, it is closer to the CL. If you like the 2-pro then get an svp-pro preamp (the svt2 preamp without power), and a Peavey DPC 1400x power amp. That would be extremely light (I'm talking like 20 pounds or less), louder than an SVT 4 Pro, and in my opinion sound better.

15. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I just found a 2 yr old svt-cl that is selling for about $400 cheaper than what I bought the svt-4pro new for. I am very tempted to return the svt-4 back to GC and get this classic. The only reason that I am hesitant on getting the seperate preamp/poweramp thing is because I am very limited on my amp knowledge. I am confused enough just trying to work the svt4, so I am kinda turned off by going that route. What do you guys think?

16. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I forgot to mention that I have a Rolandsh101 synth on the way that I got off ebay. I plan on using it to make some nice dub style basslines. Is there anything I should consider about the svt-4 or cl when making my final choice. In other words, can I run the snyth through the svt-cl and/or the svt4?

17. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think the CL would be loud enough.

Using a seperate Pre & power is really pretty simple, I think it would be worth it to try it, unless you like the SVT 4 tone better.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Irie,

If you get two "classic" 410 Ampeg cabs (not HLF) and turn off the tweeters you get the 810 but in two smaller packages. You could start with one and get the second later, use only one for practice but two for gigs, etc.

I can GUARANTEE you will be sorry you bought the SVT-IV instead of the CL. Your ears told you the story: all tube SVT head plus 810 is THE Ampeg sound.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd be afraid of playing in any situation where an SVT stack wasn't loud enough.

I've used plenty of them on big outdoor stages and never had trouble getting enough volume.

20. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    350watts enough for an outdoor stage in a Dub setting with prominent bass?!?!?!?!?!?!