1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IMPORTANT QUESTION!! I NEED HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by q1014, Mar 14, 2008.

1. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    my dad has an MTX tp112 and it runs at 8 ohms and 150w rms and a 300 watt peak i have a nemesis na650 that runs 275w at 8 ohms could i plug my bass amp into the back of this cab. It's mainly used for surrond sound so i dont want to blow it up hence my question heres a link http://www.mtxhome.com/p/prosumer/tp112.aspx
    if i could use this as a practice rig for awhile it would do me so much good feed back is appreciated

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Is it necessary to ask a question like this with a header like "IMPORTANT QUESTION!! I NEED HELP!!"? It's not an important question and you don't need help.

Anyway, you can use it, but you have to be really careful not to crank it very loud or the speaker will blow.

3. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    sorry i got a little excited after i saw the back panel of the cab so now im a little hesistent to use it in theory if i cranker the amp to ten that would 275 so mayb i shouldnt go past 5 or 6

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Actually, the volume you set it at depends on the speaker. If you hear it starting to make fart sounds or distorting sounds, it's going to blow if you don't turn it down.

5. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    ok so if i turn it up too loud it wont just automatically blow i just have to turn it down somemore

6. Looking at the link you provided, that cab looks like a thousand other cheap Karaoke speakers I've seen in pawn shops, but never used.

This quote from their own desciption, "TheTP112 speaker is designed to perform equally well in many different applications, including low to mid level live sound reproduction, public address, karaoke applications, or mobile entertainment." tells me it's not a heavy duty bass reproducer. (key word's;" low to mid level".

You can plug any amp into any speaker and the speaker will usually tell you( by distorting) when it's time to quit turning up the volume.

My advice; get a real bass guitar cab....

7. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    ive got a real bass cab on hold at the store just need to come up with the extra 200 but i was just wondering if this could work until i get enough money

8. IT COULD !! Then you'd be in a heap of trouble, huh?
    I'm sorry for sounding condescending in the previous post. I just saw in your profile that you're fourteen, so I know cash for gear is probably not at your fingertips, but I still suggest saving up for something that's designed to reproduce bass guitar. I've seen a number of inexpensive, but decent quality bass cabs here in the classified section....

9. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    hey its no problem i understand ill just not use it btw im grabbing a fender 410 gutted and reloaded with eminece speakers

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used a cheap home stereo system as a practice bass amp in a pinch. The amp put out 5 watts per channel and the speakers, in theory, could handle 20 watts each. At very low volume it was fine in a small room and I had enough volume to just hear myself, but those low bass notes can really put some serious stress on small speakers not designed for it. It would have been easy do overdrive them even with the 5 watts available. So, I just kept my ears open and didn't push up the volume at all.

If you try it, start with the amp and your bass turned right down to zero and gradually inch the volume up. One big whack on a low note with the volume turned up could wipe out the speakers.

11. Before you waste your money, make damn sure the Eminence speakers you plan to buy will actually work well in the Fender cabinet. It's not just a matter of putting four 10" drivers into any old box. They'll work but would probably sound really bad.

Good luck for the future...
    Paul