Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Important Question: Please Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 30, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok I have a Squier 5 string P-bass (with 2 jazz pickups) that I've been customizing. Now I've wanted to put new pickups in it but unfortunately its not like any other 5 string jazz bass. Both pickups are the same size (3 5/8") which is the same size as a 4 string jazz bass neck pickup. I looked around and saw that EMG makes a pickup that is the exact size I need and they say it can be used in a 4 string bass neck position or a narrow 5 string. My question is can I use 2 of these pickups in my bass if theyre both meant to ben in the neck position? or will it not work? Heres a link to the pickup I'm considering Also they say its a "stacked pickup" what does Stacked pickup mean?

2. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think you'll have a problem. "Stacked" simply means that it's a humbucker with the two coils stacked on top of each other instead of side-by-side.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    oh cool, do you think they'll work good getting that low B? the stock ones were horrible, barely any sound came out when i played it, think these EMGs are a good choice?

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If the stock pups didn't pick up your B, there's no real guarantee these will, but I don't really think they'd sell a bass, Squier or no, with a too-short pickup. Have you tried new strings? How's the B string's height relative to the others? If it's too high over the pickup, it won't get picked up as well.

I have no experience with EMG, but the kids seem to dig 'em.