1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Important Question: Please Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 30, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok I have a Squier 5 string P-bass (with 2 jazz pickups) that I've been customizing. Now I've wanted to put new pickups in it but unfortunately its not like any other 5 string jazz bass. Both pickups are the same size (3 5/8") which is the same size as a 4 string jazz bass neck pickup. I looked around and saw that EMG makes a pickup that is the exact size I need and they say it can be used in a 4 string bass neck position or a narrow 5 string. My question is can I use 2 of these pickups in my bass if theyre both meant to ben in the neck position? or will it not work? Heres a link to the pickup I'm considering Also they say its a "stacked pickup" what does Stacked pickup mean?

2. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think you'll have a problem. "Stacked" simply means that it's a humbucker with the two coils stacked on top of each other instead of side-by-side.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    oh cool, do you think they'll work good getting that low B? the stock ones were horrible, barely any sound came out when i played it, think these EMGs are a good choice?

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If the stock pups didn't pick up your B, there's no real guarantee these will, but I don't really think they'd sell a bass, Squier or no, with a too-short pickup. Have you tried new strings? How's the B string's height relative to the others? If it's too high over the pickup, it won't get picked up as well.

I have no experience with EMG, but the kids seem to dig 'em.