Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Important thread you must read

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Aug 8, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I am looking to buy an Ampeg B2 combo amp. I am wondering if it will be loud enough for practices and small gigs. I play in a 1 guitar band.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a rip-off thread title.

3. yes. Unless the guitarist is using 200 watts himself..

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    what do you mean by rip off thread title??

do you mean I ripped off someone else's title or do you mean its a rip off because this isnt that important of a thread after all, and its grossly mislabeled? :D

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    It's grossly mislabelled.

Anyway... how many watts is that amp you want, and how many watts does your guitarist's amp have?

6. perhaps more important... amps have volume knobs.. which means a guitarist can dim his volume * HINT *

7. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    So would 200 watts (B2R in 8 ohm) be enough to cut through a drummer and a guitarist using a fender 60 watt 1x12 combo?

8. JasonG

JasonG

May 21, 2001
    nebraska
    Not too bad of a title, it got my attention.\

Anyway, I got an Ampeg 220 watt amp, and it's great, except all the digital presets take forever to find the right tone. My band has two guitarists, and we can hear the bass, when it is turned really high. And in the #1 standard setting. Try that!

9. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    NO!!! Our guitarist uses a 60W Fender Hot Rod Deville (tube amp) and I couldn't hear myself ... that's why I sold my Ampeg B2 combo!
    I must admit that he plays really loud ... too loud IMO.

Yeah right ... that'll be the day ;)

KN

10. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    True, but asking the average guitarist to turn down is like asking Chris Fitzgerald to join a Blink 182 tribute band. ;)

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's an important recommendation that you must heed: give up your current band and join a big band and learn some Glenn Miller tunes. Then get back to us, OK?

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    oh yeah Glenn Miller...
    dum dum dum dum
    dum dum dum dum
    dum dum dum dum
    dum dum dum dum

i can already sing it in my head... halfway there! :p

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very good. You've got a good start. Now join the Air Force.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    200W RMS, 350W with ext cab.
    all solid state combo
    single 15" speaker
    defeatable limiter

[​IMG]

im gonna buy this unless anyone has a SWR super redhead for $700...

15. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
  16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    man i must have a wierd guitar player. we always have to tell him to turn up....

or maybe it's cos he's got a fender ultimate chorus, vs. my full SWR stack, a monster drummer, and a VERY loud organ player :D

jason

17. dude, I don't know if you're interested in an ampeg amp because you have played the model of which you are searching or if it is because of ampegs incredible reputation throughout the bass community. About two years I went out to buy an amp and a speaker cab. I was pretty sure I was going to get the classic ampeg cab with eight 10" speakers... I didn't. I learned two things that day at the shop. One is that big speakers fart because they don't react as fast as little ones. 15's and 18's just arent' for me. Next, I learned about the beauty and grace of the swr. i ended up with the swr goliath sr, their biggest cab at the time, six 10's and it rms's at 1000 watts. Plenty big for anything. I know what you aid was that you were looking for something different, for small gigs and stuff. I'd highly encourage you to read up on the smaller swr combo's. The super red-head has consistenty received super reviews. I find the equipment to be quality. It seems to me that swr is more about the reputation of today's equipment and ampeg kinda rides on the coat-tail of past glory. Think about.... good luck

18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Drummers don't have volume knobs, so getting an amp depends on the drummer you're playing with. For a bass amp in my band, I'd aim for a 200 watt amp.

I had that Fender 60W kickback amp and that thing was way too weak.

Bass definitely needs 200W for any gig.

19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    G-K it is!!!

holy crap!!!

wow!!

what a price!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

thats actually cheaper than the B-2 I was gonna buy! I am psyched. Thanks a bunch, captainpabst. you are my hero man!

20. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Take a look at the 600 watt rc210 at www.Carvin.com, only $800 which I think is pretty cheap for that wattage.