1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"IMPORTANT: Xmarks Sync to be Discontinued"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MIJ-VI, Sep 28, 2010.

1. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    xmarks-v-105x122.png

IMPORTANT: Xmarks Sync to be Discontinued :eek:

"Sadly, Xmarks will be shutting down our free browser synchronization service on January 10, 2011. This page contains details on how to transition to recommended alternative services. For more detail on why we're closing our doors, please see our blog post.

Best regards,
    -Team Xmarks"

Browser Sync Alternatives

"While you may have to give up cross-browser sync when Xmarks goes away, there are a lot of good browser-specific sync options available":

Browser..Sync Alternative......Xmarks Data Types Supported...........Price
    Firefox...*Firefox Sync...........Bookmarks, passwords, history, tabs..Free <-- I'm now using this. It works well.

"You can also create an html backup of your bookmarks at any time by using the Export feature at my.xmarks.com.

*(available for Firefox 3.5 and 3.6) * Note: If you are using Firefox 4 Beta, Sync is a feature and you don't need to download the Add-on."

The current version of Firefox is 3.6.10. Guess which version is likely to be included with Ubuntu 10.10? :)

UPDATE:

The announced end of Xmark's cross-platform web browser synchronisation service has produced an outcry from many of its users--and offers from a number of companies to buy Xmarks with the aim of running it as a paid service. Please check the above link for details.

UPDATE #2

UPDATE: Xmarks Sync NOT Dead Yet

Xmarks' Facebook group. If you use, like, and need Xmarks then 'em know it! :)
    http://www.facebook.com/Xmarks?v=wall

2. :scowl:

Xmarks is my favorite FF add-on. I used to recommend it to all of my friends and family. I guess there's alternatives but this stinks.

3. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    UPDATE:

Xmarks Victory for the Users, by the Users

"The past ten days have been an amazing lesson in the power of community. Not in the “web 2.0 social graph” sense – I’m talking about old school community with users speaking up, speaking out and banding together. Thank you Xmarks users. You told the world it was simply unacceptable for our service to shut down and it worked. Thanks to your passion, Xmarks now has multiple offers from companies ready and willing to take over the service and keep making browser sync better and better!

This is not a signed, sealed done deal yet. But with multiple offers on the table we’re pretty confident that Xmarks will continue on with no service interruption. Our style of transparent blog updates has worked so well in this process we want to continue that approach and share this news with you. Some may accuse us of masterminding this whole process; I wish we were that clever! Instead we give the credit to our user base, who spoke up in a way that caught the attention of bloggers and journalists around the world and, in turn, generated new options for the service to live on..."

4. YES!!!!!!!!

Xmarks is the absolute first extension I install after any new browser installation, be it Firefox or Chrome. I've been using it since it first started out as FoxMarks. When I got the 90 day countdown email I was sad but this is fantastic news! I guess they haven't sent the email out because it's not set in stone? Either way I'm happy Xmarks is getting looks. Thanks for the great news :)

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Never heard of it. What does it do?

6. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    [​IMG]

7. Can sync bookmarks and passwords and other tedious-to-transfer information across different browsers on different computers. It's amazing.

8. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Yup. A HEE-OOGE time saver for cross-platform computer users.

That being said, as an Ubuntu-only and Firefox-only user I've now switched to Firefox Sync (which only works with Firefox) and it works as well as Xmarks does for my modest needs.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    All this means is that you have too many bookmarks.

10. Guilty but my bookmarks are also constantly changing and to change every computer I work on one at a time would be ridiculous.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021