1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Important!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sandra, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Sandra

Sandra

Dec 27, 2011
    Hey guys! How in the world do I kindly ask our guitarist to turn down? I want to be polite....he is a friend, but every musician we bring aboard has the same complaint!?! Some insight please....

2. If he's a friend, then he should understand if you tell him nicely to just lower it a couple of notches.

3. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    "Please turn your amp down, thank you."

I play guitar and bass...I have been told to turn it down on both. No biggie for me. If its a problem and he/she doesnt comply bring it up at a rehearsal as a group.

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    This is one of those "don't try this at home" kinda things. Some guitar players are hyper-sensitive to suggestions about tone/volume.

I know....I was booted from a band for asking (telling, really) the gui**** to turn down.

This is behaviour you might expect of a 17-year old kid, but he was 53 at the time. Good grief.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Just crank the bass so loud that it's the only thing you can hear. Then when your guitar player looks at you all confused and teary eyed, smile and say, "I'll turn it down if you will". lol

6. Like others have said, that really shouldnt be a problem. I dont know why they make it to be one. If your too loud, your too loud. You will sound just the same, maybe even better, but not as loud! Ha.

Yeah, I would say to just ask them during rehearsal. If its really a problem other bandmates will chime in too.

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Also suggest he get his amp where it’s facing his head, in front of him, tilted up or maybe on a stand. Then he can blow his head off without hurting everyone else.

8. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    DO NOT LIKE gui****s putting their amp on the floor aiming straight ahead. Have to go through the "Butterflies can taste with their feet, but humans can't hear with their ankles" speech.

Selfish gui****s will always hold you back. There are others.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Just assert yourself, and remind him that professionals mostly play at a sane stage volume.

If not, maybe you need a bigger rig, and you need to point it right at him, and remind him how much more power a truly frightening bass amp has than any guitar stack made.

10. Tell him to turn it down because it's messing with the band's overall sound or turn it down when he isn't looking, probably won't even notice

11. Sandra

Sandra

Dec 27, 2011
    I mean, really....I sat right next to my amp with my huge tone from my '70 P-Bass and still had trouble hearing!

Thanks, guys :)