Importing basses to the US

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kroy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    I had a thought and I figured I'd throw it out there for some feedback?

If basses made afar (like Warwick or Jerzy Drodz) are cheaper in their native lands, could a person save a buck or two by buying from a dealer in said native land and having it shipped to the U.S.? Naturally there would be some tax and duty and what-not, and of course... shipping. But if all that totaled a few hundred bucks and you could get the bass for, say five hundred less than retail in the states, you'd come out ahead. Anyone ever tried this or looked into it?
  2. insuring and shipping would probably even it out i would assume
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But presumably the big US stores like Bass Central,Bass NW etc. are doing exactly the same thing, but buying in bulk and getting discounts - so how could you do it any cheaper than them? :confused:
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    there's also the problem of exchange rates... one dollar does NOT equal one euro/pound/whatever ...
  5. i sent my kubicki to the states, but that was in trade for my KSD, i had to pay $167aus in customs fees to get my KSD in the country
  6. heath - at what stage of the delivery were you charged $167 for customs fees? Was it not part of the postage quote?
  7. well it was sent through fedex, before they could release it to me, i had to pay the $167(aus) that was customs fees
  8. That is the shyte. Customs did it to me once for a work-related matter. How do they decide what items to charge though? I've ordered CDs and books and other stuff from the US and overseas, never had a custom charge for those items before.
  9. customs charge on items that a declared over a value of $300 and they figure it out by a percentage
  10. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Its unlikely that your going to get instruments any cheaper than what you can buy them for in the US infact people from other countries would buy from the US for this very reason.
  11. cant even get KSD's in australia:D ..but yeah, there is a huge markup in prices here in australia
  12. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Everything seems to be over priced here as well. It's pretty close to australia probably not quite as bad. Someone has to be getting rich out of it though. I wonder who.....:ninja:

13. One word: C U S T O M S
  14. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Oh well, just a thought, maybe I'll win the Powerball and can just GAS out until my heart's content.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well- Customs Officers can't stop and check every item - they have to take a random sample - I have actually had a charge levied on a CD boxed set once (US to UK) - although I have bought dozens of others, with no charge.

Having said that, I'm sure that the larger the item, the more likely it is to be stopped and checked - it makes sense that a large item is more likely to be worth more and enable more tax/charge to be raised!! :)

If I was a customers officer, seeing millions of square boxes, boring CDs and Books every day - I'm sure I'd check out anything as large and interesting-looking as a bass!! ;)