Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Importing / Customs / Quarantine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm hoping someone here works at an airport or for a shipping company and can answer a few questions.

Is it standard procedure to quarantine loudspeakers when importing them from another country? I can understand the need to quarantine anything that might have bugs or germs living in them, I'm just a little surprised that loudspeakers are considered a risk item?

I've bought some raw drivers from someone who was offloading them cheaply. I intend to build cabinets for them eventually. UPS are doing the delivery so I can track its progress online.

The speakers arrived in Sydney today and according to UPS "A quarantine was requested by Government regulatory agency. The shipment will be warehoused until released by clearing Agency. " It also looks like the whole drama was sparked by the X-ray of the package.

How long is a typical quarantine period? Is it even possible for nasties to be living in a speaker, perhaps in the paper cone? Do speakers look like atomic bombs when X-rayed? Or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Within a couple of days you should get a note from Customs in the mail explaining what has happened and a reference number to call to find out what has happened.

When my last bass was nabbed by customs, I was able to sort it out and clear it through customs over the phone on the same day the letter from customs turned up. They are not as scary as everyone makes out!

However if its been quarantened (and I dont know why it would) then it may be more difficult to get out in a hurry.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm.. Today's entry to the UPS tracking website was " DETAILED COMMODITY INFORMATION & ADHERENCE TO CUSTOMS COUNTRY OR ORIGIN MARKING REQUIREMENTS. QUARANTINE REQUESTED"

Do ya think they seller might have labeled them as "CONES for musicians" or something like that?

Nothing in the mail yet. I can wait.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I got a phone call from UPS. The speakers have been cleared but they've incurred an additional $44 charge for quarantine. So of course I asked why the speakers were quarantined in the first place, and no one could tell me. UPS passed the buck on to Customs who passed the buck back on to UPS. So I said I'm refusing to pay it until someone can tell me why I should! I can wait. $44 isn't the end of the world but I'm getting annoyed with the beaurocracy of it all.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It may have been because the seller did not put the right information on the declaration. For example when I had a bass go through customs, they were going to charge only 5% duty because they thought it was from America (there is a concession) although the bass was actually a MIJ (and theoretically subject to higher duty). It took a while to convince them that there is not duty on a solid body electric bass but they came through in the end. THat was all because the seller didnt put the right description on the declaration.

CHances are it is the sellers fault and not UPS or customs.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've finally got to the bottom of this. It turns out it was a random grab initially, but once they saw they were speakers, they assumed they came in wooden cabinets.

They've apparently made a file note that speakers bought in under my name will be raw drivers without wood, so in future there should be no problems. In future I'll also tell the sellers to label the packages as "Raw Speakers - wooden enclosures not included!" or something like that.

Speakers on the way - yayyyyyyy!