Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Importing from America to Europe(Ireland)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Oct 21, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Some time in the future I'd like to get a mesa 4x10 power house for my m pulse. Unfortunatley with all mesa stuff the prices are pretty high. If I were to go about importing one(or two) from America I think I could probably save some money.
    So......

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Does the difference in price make it worth while?

Is there much of a difference in price after tax, shipping costs,import duty and possibly insurance on the order? (I would have to go about this legitamatley(sp?) since most businesses wont mark things as presents or whatever)

How would I go about ordering it from America?

What shops or suppliers would do this and are reputable and reliable?

So could anyone share their wisdom on the matter?

2. Have you investigated the power difference?

The US runs on 120v at 60 cycles. Isn't the UK on 240v at 50 cycles?

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Dude! Irelands not part of the UK! :rollno: Not a good Idea to make that mistake. And the power house is a speaker cabinet not an amp so it doesnt matter about mains voltage and frequency. Thats only to do with the power transformer on amplifiers.

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    You'll find that the shipping cost of cabs can be prohibitive. Shops could be doable - try the Harmony Central Bass Forum FAQ for a list of shops that ship overseas and also another thread about the various ups and downs of importing gear.

Used can be good as long as the seller is willing to ship at all, nevermind overseas! (note how many ebay listings and TB classifieds specify a local sale for larger/heavier cabs)

On the tax/import implications, it is quite often cheaper but this gap is much narrower for heavy items - expect shipping quotes in the region of $250-300

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Many bass specialty shops here ship to Europe as a part of
    their internet business.

Gard, prior to leaving Bass Central in Orlando FL mentioned that they had significant int'l business. You can email
    the others to check. Low Down Sound, Low End,
    Bass Northwest, Bass Palace and so forth.

I would expect that it would be worthwhile to do, even with
    shipping and duty.

6. That statement is 5/6ths true anyway. Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

7. Part #1: No offense intended.

If offense taken, then see part #1

8. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/Immctry.html

And specifically for ireland

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclhk_010.html

This is an excellent resource for shipping worldwide through the post office. It will cost about $3 a pound to ship an amp to Ireland by Airmail and it will take 4-10 days. You can ship cheaper by boat but it'll take 6-10 weeks. What I think is "funny" is shipping to CANADA by ground takes 6-10 weeks.

FedEx will be about $8 a pound but will be there in 3-6 days.

As for customs that varies but some countries frown on "gifts" as a scam and I guess you still pay tax and it might even be higher. If you get someone to declare a lower value, then you're by definition taking an insurance risk (bought separately). Some countries, like Norway, don't even allow insurance. Saying that, I've never lost a shipment.

If you claim it's coming back from repair they're going to want to see your original receipt. I don't get into it too deep so check everything for yourself.

9. Holy @&$&#!! It would cost $416 to ship my CA9 to Ireland. I could buy it a one-way ticket on Continental for about half that! :eek:

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yeh I know. Dont worry your head about it :cool:

I dont know, I guess it has it's pro's and cons. It might turn out to be a great thing to do or it could prove a big nightmare. If there was only a hundred or so € difference I'd probably pay extra for peace of mind. I suppose it just a matter of reading up and getting some prices. Either way its a long way off. Im well and truly broke these days. Its just an idea that was floating around my head. Thanks for all the advice.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Just another thing I've noticed it seems that no amercan stores with international shipping are actually doing any mesa stuff at all. It seems that only european stores are doing it such as www.musicstore.com and one ortwo others. I think that I read somewhere before that Mesa have stopped internet sales of their product to keep their prices in check anyone know if this is true? Or why there seems to be a lack of american sites with their stuff for sale?

12. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
  13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I got my m pulse 600 in Northern Ireland for €2100 that www.thoman.de is quoting
    €2222
    and thats before delivery and possibly tax. Im probably best goin with the shop I bought the amp in to buy my cabs in no one seems to be able to beat it on price, not even the big international european shippers shuch as thomann and musicstore.