Importing sound

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Worshiper, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Forgive me if this is a newbie qeustion but I am just starting to record my own music. What is the best wat to get music (that you create on your own) into an editing program? In other words, what hardware do I need to record directly onto my computer? Thanks.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    You'll need at least a good quality sound card (Audigy, etc) that allows for your typical RCA plug...or better still and XLR jack, and some recording software.

There are tons of flavors out there, but here are a couple links from musician's friend that might help. Also you might want to do a search on for reviews on some of these products.

Hope this helps!
  3. The above poster's information is good, but if you're trying to do it "on the cheaP, here's an option:

Basically any sound card will work. The better the sound card - the better the results. However, if you're just putting in one track at a time, or just doing a one-track acoustic track or something, just about any sound card will work. The basic card already in your computer will work, although it might not sound too good. The thing I think to look for is to get a card with what's called "full duplex" capability, which allows you to record one track while playing back another track. I found a $20 Hurricane sound card with that capability at Circuit City.

The next thing you'll need is a way to get it into your computer. What I use is a basic $60 four track mixing board, with the outs on the mixing board going into the line in on the sound card. Using a mixing board gives you more flexibility to put in XLR inputs, stereo inputs, or basic 1/4 inch guitar cords.

The third thing you'll need is a sound capture software program. I use Cool Edit Pro, but just about any on the market will work for you. There may even be some free ones out there, but I don't know that for sure.
  4. Sloom

Mar 3, 2005
    Digital Music Maker mag issue #8 has a couple Freeware editors listed and described (sorry I don't have the links handy) at the back few pages of the mag- they're pretty no-frills, but you can do the basic cut-and-paste chores, etc. There are some Freeware plug-ins, too. Would be good to get familiar with the basics, then go pick up Adobe or something...
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I'd start by deciding:

Do you want to multitrack or just record live performances in stereo?

Are you recording acoustic or electric instruments?

How much of a learning curve can you tolerate?

How much do you want to spend?

You could get a decent stereo mic for about $100 and record direct to a soundcard and get good basic tracks from that. Good meaning that they won't sound like a kazoo, unless you are recording kazoo. Add a 2-channel preamp and you might get better sound quality. Upgrade the soundcard and you might get better sound. and so on. I say "might" because an experienced engineer/recordist can make an inexpensive setup sound great, and an inexperienced op will make a $5k rig sound like Fischer Price gear.