Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impregnated Fingerboards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stewmc5222, Feb 17, 2005.

1. hey all,

apologies if this has been covered already but I was wondering what various luthiers' experiences are with these woods, particularly on fretless instruments. there is another term for the 'boards besides impregnated, but it eludes me now.

thoughts? feelings? impressions?

from the curious lows,

Stew

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. they call them 'stabilized' woods. I bought a stabilized fingerboard which is in the works now. Feels a lot easier to work (it's ebony, and it's not as prone to chipout). Don't know about the sound, but I know that a lot of builders are using it for their fretless because that way they can use highly figured and unusual woods without fear of the strings eating them up.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Stew, I'm using one of Larry's stabilized boards on my fretless 6 string... I LOVE the stuff. It has a great feel, very silky. It has a nice "clank" to it when you get rough, mwahs fine when you want it too (my bass is a P with flats so by design the mwah is minimized).

I don't ever plan on playing a fretless without it again.

5. -it's also known as 'acrylicized' wood.

6. THANK YOU!!

acrylized and stabilized. that was driving me nuts.

I'm really curious to see how they perform in contrast to non-processed woods and synthetics.

I appreciate all the answers so far. thanks again, cats!

from the lows,

Stew

7. excellent, man! thanks much!

everyone please return to their posting already in progress...

from the lows,

Stew

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You putting together the deatails of a new frettless Stew?

(you know we're gonna want details and progress pics!!! :p )

9. LOL

nah, man. I'm just a curious sort of guy. it's going to be a while before I get a new fretless. I have 2 great fretless basses now and I'm very happy. really wanted to learn more about stabilized woods. with three threads to check out I should be able to do that!

:D

from the lows,

Stew