1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impressed with Ampeg B100R combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Mar 5, 2008.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    The Ampeg B100r rocket bass is a great little combo, only $550 brand new. I would really like to pick one up as a practice amp sometime. It doesn't have horn so it doesn't hiss or breakup like the crappy horn on my BA-115. I ended up using it in combination w/ my rig to record most of our album (I had my rig mic'd w/ a SM57--split the signal and dialed in about 30%). It copped the tone I was going for on the record, so while I wish I could have had a real SVT setup to record with, this thing worked just great. Gets very loud for a 100 watt combo, about 10x better than the BA-115 IMO.

BTW this one was an american-made version.

[​IMG]

2. I saw today a B200R and I was also impressed... really nice combos!

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah, does the B200R have a an extension speaker jack? If it did, that would be a gig-worthy combo I bet.

4. LowOrbit

LowOrbit

Feb 5, 2008
    NYC
    Amos, I guess while you were reading my post, I was reading yours...

About the:
    That sent me web-surfing for info.
    Was there a certain time that Ampeg "outsourced" these to somewhere else?
    How can you tell?
    Is there a tonal or construction difference?

Thanks...

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    LowOrbit: I can't recall the date, but not too long ago Ampeg shut down the SLM (St. Louis Music) factory in the states, and moved all production overseas.

As far as tonal or construction differences, there are varying opinions on this. I've read about people a/b'ing an american made SVT-VR w/ an overseas model and it being NIGHT AND DAY! but I don't really buy it. It's somewhat of a sensitive topic 'round these parts because of the political topics that come up when talking about the subject of overseas manufacturing for US companies (Hell if I lost my job because of a switchover like Ampeg did when they sold out to LOUD then I'd be sore over it too). When I mentioned that it was american made that does not imply that a vietnam-made one would sound any different at all.