Impressing the ladies.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jackmurray, Jan 25, 2006.

1. This is a 2 part question.

1) I want to build up my shoulders and my chest. What is the best excercise that gets maximum build for the lest amount of effort?

2) How do you stay focused? Whenever I've tried before I always do weights for about a week and give up. What's the trick for staying on task?
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd email the Qintar. He's ripped.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

will and/or discipline

(I'm way too out of shape to give anyone health advice)
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Bench, Inclined Bench, Declined Bench, Dumbbell presses, a crapload of wide stance pushups (try 200 everyday).
    Military Press, lateral raise, upright row

Don't do roids.

Introduce a little variety in your workout and get a partner.
  5. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    you will look funny if you just do the chest and shoulders but i'll give you advice anyways, bench press. militay press, pulldowns, and flies.

as far as staying focused I dunno. Doubt the pipes are really going to get the ladies. I'm a stick and I pick up a fair amount of girls. I'm a toned stick but you can't even tell when i'm wearing clothes so thats not what really gets em. just try to be charming and funny,

girls are funny creatures. you'll find girls that like the mucsles, but you you'll find girls that hate them and just want a skinny dude with abs, but some girls like a little bit of a pot belly. And some like musicians but some like jocks and some like long hair but some hate it and some really dig the whole tattoos and piercing scene and for some that freaks em out but I have NeVEr met a girl that didn't love it when I made em laugh

the point i'm tryin to make is you are never going to appeal to every single girl physically but you will win over any girl (even the one that doesn't think you are her type) if you are charming and can make her laugh

as far as motivation? everyone is motivated by something differnt.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    See? They're lining up outside your door now.
  7. How about just 1? I have a face like a mule (except my nose is a bit bigger) and a body to match. The body I can change, except that I don't have enough will.

What about swimming laps? I enjoy swimming, and there's a pool right near my house, but is it really very effective or is it just for old retired people who can't handle gravity anymore?
  8. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    swimming is more for cardio and leaning out. lots of weight and little reps is whats going to build the muscles.

and sounds like your motivation should be that one girl you want, do you know her well? do you know if hats what she's even into?
  9. OK, push-ups. How many a day/week?

The miricle exercise? Do I need anything else? I'm trying to keep it to a minimum in the hope that I'll stick to a plan.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't do weights anymore due to injury. I do 200 to 300 push ups everyday. Tones my arms and gives me some shirt filler. You won't get a Lou Ferrigno chest by doing push ups.

Swimming will increase your endurance in the sack, then you really will be THE mule.:smug:
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Uhh.. I DON'T do 200 push ups in one shot btw.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Screw working out! Tell 'em you know me. You'll get more butt than an ashtray!

If that works, let me know so that I can partake in the afore mentioned butt! :bag:
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I swam for my high school's team for all four years, and while it will get you trimmed down, pretty well toned, and develop your stomach muscles really well, you won't get big muscle build-up. It'll make the muscles you have stronger, but they'll stay smaller and sleek, as swimming develops an aerodynamic body, not one lumpy with muscles.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hopefully Mr. Peter Squire will join this discussion with some real pro advice. :D

In the meantime, I'll throw out my opinion on question #2. You have to commit to a workout for YOU, not for others. If you go to the gym for the ladies, you won't last. I am seeing that right now at my gym. All of these dudes joined up last month with fresh New Years Resolutions to get ripped for the ladies. Most of them are gone now. When you workout to impress others, it is easy to quit. Make a commitment to yourself, and it will last longer.

Oh out your entire body, not just what you think ladies will like.

15. OK.

I'm trying to set myself rules, for example, I have to do 30 push-ups before I get in the shower, and I have a set of dumbells next to my bass and I have to lift a few before I can play.

Wonder how long that will last....
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I hear the Qintar has a wicked ripped upper body.
  17. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Brad cook is pretty buff too. :ninja:
  18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i hear that cheezewiz beat ya to that joke! :eek: :p
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

brad cook
  20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Jack, there are a variety of web sites that can give you specific workout routines. Most of the routines are too detailed to outline here. Doing a few pushups and curls a day won't give you results.

Do you need to lose weight, or just gain muscle? I lift weights 4 days a week and do cardio 4 days a week (yes, there is some overlap. :D ) I work every major muscle group twice a week, work each to exhaustion and wait at least 3 days before working them out again. Heres a simple breakdown of my routine:

Sun: Chest, Shoulders, Calves
    Monday: Back, Arms, Thighs
    Tuesday: Cardio
    Wed: Same as Sun, Cardio
    Thur: Same as Mon, Cardio
    Friday: off
    Sat: Cardio

I don't do enough leg work, but my cardio is done at a very high resistance so I get plenty of leg work. I am not trying to be huge, just well defined. I do at least two exercises for each muscle group, 3 set of no more than 10 (to failure at each set)

Diet is also important. I cut out most bad foods, including fried foods, high fat foods, alchohol (ouch) and soda. I eat more whole foods now, including meats, fruits and vegetables. You can't lose weight without both diet AND exercise. It's not a one or the other proposition.

Motivation is a tough one. Mine was when I looked at myself in the mirror one day, realized that I was 31 years old and 50 lbs overweight. Then, I realized that it wasn't going to get any better, and that I had better either 1)get used to being a fat slob or 2)decide, right then and there, that I had to work out for the rest of my life for my looks and health. I ended up losing 55 lbs and I have kept if off for over 2 years now. I am 32 and in better shape than I was in high school. I am 5'10"m 160 lbs and have approximately 8% body fat. I can bench press approximately twice my own body weight.

You can do it, but not for the reasons you have now. If you do it for others, you will fail. If you do it to get girls, you will fail. You will succeed when you decide to take control of your own life and improve yourself for the right reasons. I can see from your post that you are looking for an easy solution, but their aren't any. Hard work is the only thing that will yield results.