Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impressive bass lines for the dumb...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FearOfGodX, Apr 10, 2002.

1. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    ok, lets say your chillin with people who know nothing about music. You whip out the bass...whatta you play? What will make someone who knows nothing about bass go "oooh" and "Aaaah". I mean, sure, to impress another bassist is one thing, you gotta play something all crazy sounding, like Jaco or Les Claypool, but what about everyone else?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Slapping seems to be what impresses nonplayers the most.

I played part of Teen Town for one of my friends, and didn't get much of a reaction. Played the slap part from the verses on Aeroplane, and they thought that I was the greatest.:rolleyes:

3. About a year into my bass experience, I was in my school's horrible intermediate "jazz" band, and every couple of weeks whenever the teacher would feel like it, he'd go around the room and let everyone have a couple of seconds to play whatever they wanted for the whole class. When it got around to the bassists, the first guy played Nirvana... the second guy plaed Green Day... then I whipped out the slap riff from Aeroplane... I got applause! Woohoo!

--jeff

4. Huh, friends. Who needs 'em, right? :p

Doing well known riffs has worked for me. "Iron Man", "Black Dog" and "The Everlasting Gaze" are all prime examples of well known riffs.

5. for a laugh, I pull out 'Green Acres' or 'The Addams Family' theme song. Audience participation on both!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've always wanted to do something like that, just for fun.

7. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    That is one song most everyone (my age) knows.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Taste of Honey "Boogie Oogie Oogie". Chromatic octaves. Darn! No "yawn" smiley.

Peace,

James Martin

9. on theme tunes i need to know that led zep song which was on dr who
    was it even by led zep?

plus embellisher lil bit on aeroplane. works a dream

do sommit they know
    greenday - longview for the very dumb
    lol
    hitchin a ride? lmao

anyway later
    cheers in advance for link/song name to the dr who thing