1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impressive car. How fast have you ever been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have no words....I was emotional just watching it.

How fast have you been and in what?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its far more impressive as a "car" than it is as a fast car. Something a lot of other builders have forgotten in their quest for speed. Its unlikely that a car as good as the Veyron will ever be built. Apparently it costs Volkswagon about £4,000,000 to produce one and they only sell for £800,000. It was a technical exercise which is unlikely ever to be repeated.

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Such a sexy car :)

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Edited for a better/longer version of the episode.

I have to agree. It is impressive. Fast doesn't do it justice. I've alwys had a thing for Ferarris, (still do). However when it come to all out technological yet sophisticated goodness...the Veyron is now my new favorite. he fastest I've ever been in a car was a 1996 Chevy Caprice Classic police issue. I was trying to catch up to a chase in another area and I had it pegged at the governor of 155 mph for several minutes. The rush was tremendous with the natural engine/wind noise...add to the siren and the lights on my way to a chase. I couldn't imagine 253 mph.

I also had a 1995 Eagle Talon Turbo AWD that I had up to 135. Also a '99 Ducati Super Sport 900 at 125. Not all that fast but get in the corners with it and it slices them like a scalpel.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I got my stock 92 Accord EX coupe to a sustained 110 mph on rt13 for a few minutes (very late at night on the Maryland peninsula). I got worried I was going to get pulled over though and reigned it in. Funny thing is I did get pulled over that night for doing 5 over in a Reduce Speed Zone. Only got a warning though.

That Bugatti is pretty incredible.

6. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I got my stock 95 Jetta (2.0l) just over 130 mph, that was fun :)

7. With a mazda speed 6, been to 210 km/h

8. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Props to that dude, Id be freaking out going that fast. Hes all chilled. lol

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    That is a FREAK of a machine.

Mankind really can do anything.

My personal fastest, was 120mph in my brother's 1970 Mustang. He was NOT happy. That old chunk of steel may look beautiful, but at those speeds, that old engine and old suspension was a vibrating fear ride. If it was in better mechanical shape and had a nicely tuned and structurally sound suspension, not to mention an engine that wasn't 35 years old and never EVER rebuilt in those years, we'd trust it to go faster. But until we get the time to yank that engine and clean everything up, we'll be happy with 120.

10. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The Veyron is nice, I've seen one in person, but I think for $1,000,000, I could get a few cars I'd be even happier with.

I've been up to 160mph (technically 250 something km/h) in my uncles highly modified Mini Cooper, not the new one, an old one, it was crazy light, and monstrously fast.

I've also been up to 120mph in a used and abused Ford Windstar. That was pretty interesting, the whole dashboard, and I suppose, by association, the firewall, was vibrating pretty violenty. That van, specifically the tires and suspension, was definitely not meant to go that kind of speed. But hey, I was 16, everyone's an idiot at 16.

11. I was up to 125mph in a 1994 Chevy Lumina car, all stock. Kind of scary, that was a sustained speed. I was up to 130mph in my friends Pontiac Grand Am that had the governor taken out of it. I had my ninja 250 up to around 115mph. A friend of mine took his GSXR 1000 up to the governor at 295 km/h, mind you that was in a controlled environment.

lowsound

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    140-plus in a 1973 Mercedes 450SE. That was on 405, SB, near Seal Beach. Cop pulled me over after I had reduced speed significantly (under 90). I had passengers in the car, it was borrowed, and I was making an airport run. It was late at night, apparently I had outrun a CHP in a Dodge Diplomat somewhere back in LA county, he radioed ahead to have another cop get me. I got the usual "Get out of the car, son, and stand on one foot while patting your head, rubbing your tummy, an recite the alphabet...backwards!", followed by a lecture and a ticket for 70 in a 55 zone. I was SO lucky!

I had told him when I was asked if I knew how fast I was going that I did not, it certainly didn't feel like we were going fast- I was used to driving my 69 VW Fastback, in which anything over 45 was pretty terrifying and loud! He had a 71 Squareback, we got to talking about that for a few minutes, and he deduced that I really hadn't been drinking. So he gave me a break, told me I had flat outrun a CHP in LA county, and that I needed to slow down. I expressed my apologies to him, he wrote me for the 70 ticket, but told me that he had me at 98 mph and decelerating.

This was back in 84, nowadays, they'd just shoot you.

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The fastest I've ever gone was in an old Ford pickup doing about 130 or so, and it was terrifying. The whole truck was shaking and rattling. Good thing leather is easy to clean.

14. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've had my '07 VW GTI just above 100 mph. I might go do a track day this summer to get some time with a driving instructor so I can learn how to drive my car well. It's my first performance-oriented car (that still gets 30 mpg on the highway!), so I need a bit of instruction on how to stay out of trouble with it. :ninja:

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    120 mph in my cousin's Camaro back in the late 60s.
    He was driving. The road got really narrow.

I don't know the fastest I've ever driven. Had my old Tempest up to 100 a few times.
    Driving home from work on I-5 in the 70s I'd be doing 90 and cars in the far left would be passing me. Speed limit was 70 then.
    Since that car all my speedometers peg out at 85, so I have no idea.

16. Speedometers aren't really that accurate anyway. Most are accurate to within maybe 5mph. Get a GPS if you really want to be accurate and see how fast you are going.

lowsound

17. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I got up to 110mph in my '97 Pontiac Bonneville. I pulled it in when it started to shake, as my driving skills really aren't good enough to be driving at those speeds.

18. Uhh... 80 on the highway?

Going 70 on a snowmobile is pretty scary.

19. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow...I think I got wood just now! awesome.

My top speed (I was a passenger)...130mph in a 2006 pontiac grand prix. And I was crapping masonry!