1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impressive car. How fast have you ever been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That Veyron is a nice car.

Not the fastest I've been, but definitely the scariest, was in the passenger seat of a Golf doing 90MPH on windy country roads at night.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Indicated 145 on my Kawasaki GPz 1100. Smooth and easy, it had more go, I didn't.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Got to leave the ship via cat shot a few times.

0 to over 100 knots in 300 ft.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    155 MPH driving my brother's 2004 Cobra.

I got my own 1980 Mustang up to just shy of 140 MPH a few times (had a transplanted 310 HP 289 along with the suspension upgrade to make it less terrifying).

One night, my buddy was giving out rides on the back of his GSXR 1100 (genuine race bike) and was hitting 175 MPH.

No ******* way was I going on that trip. Even at age 20, I wasn't eager to take risks like that.

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    115 MPH on a bike (Ninja 250), and about 135 MPH (estimate, the speedo only went to 120, but was soundly buried) in a car (Chevelle w/~350 HP).

I have a C4 'Vette that supposedly does 155+ MPH. Haven't had it beyond 117 yet. It's the first vehicle I haven't yet fully wrung out. I guess I'm a little afraid the speed might suck the convertible top off it.

6. A friend of mine has a 1985 Camaro that he has all suped up (not sure what is all in it). He had the speedometer all the way around to 0 and it was still accelerating. He has it for sale for really cheap and it is killing me not to buy it.

lowsound

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    55 mph on a bicycle in traffic riding downhill.

And nothing but lycra clothes and a bit of styrofoam for protection.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sweet a Mini Cooper. :hyper:

My dad used to run rally's in England with Mini Coopers. He awhile ago he rebuilt a 1958 Cooper S and took me for a run in it. That thing really moved. We only took it up to 120, but more impressive was the handling. We did a run from Thousand Oaks to Malibu through a little known twisty road call Decker canyon highway. That is probably the single-most exciting experience I've ever had in a car. It was in that car that I learned that he taught me how to do 180 hand-brake turns.

I've had the opportunity to drive many fast cars. Ferarri's, Lamborghini's, Porsche's, high end chevy's (Callaway Corvette) I also driven the Bentley Continental R and GT. Many of those cars I've popped up to 150, but the fastest I've ever been was in a grey market Porsche 930 slant nose. That thing just flew. I took it up to 173 before I pulled it down. Steering was getting light, as air was getting under the front air dam. A lot of owners put bar bell weights in their hood to compensate for the rear-engine weight, this particular car didn't have that since it was relatively new. Still an amazing machine. Porsche's will always be my favorite.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Even though I will always love my American muscle cars with gas guzzling, pushrod V8's, I think that Porsche's are the best all around performing cars you can get without having to spend ridiculous amounts of cash. I want to get a 1980's 944 as my next resto-mod project. :smug:

10. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wait! Volkwagen makes the Veyron? :eek:

Interesting. I just looked it up. This explains so much. I honestly didn't know that. Let me share a little story. Volkswagen is also the parent company of Bentley. They bought Bentley a few years before my father retired from Bentley. When Bentley came out with it's 550 HP W-12 Continental, my father took me to VW's western US HQ in Westlake, so we could take the Continental out for a spin. This is also Audi's HQ, since VW is their parent company too. Anyway, in the lot there were a lot of cars, some prototype and unbadged Audi's (they remove the badges from the cars so when they take the cars on the road for test drives, they can't be identified in photographs) , a new unbadged VW (which became the Phaeton), and this 1001 HP beast that my dad kept talking about. They had it unbadged at the back of the lot with a cover over it. My dad removed the cover and it was this car we just saw the video on - the Veyron. It really didn't register at the time what it was. My dad told me that they hadn't released the speed test results yet, but he said they estimated it was going to go over 250 MPH. My dad had already driven it, and said it was rocket. I kind of whistled, and then we got in the Bentley so I could take it for a spin. Funny enough, The Bentley also lowers like the Bugatti when you start it up. It's all coming together now. :cool:

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, those are nice. Got to drive one of those from OC to the Colorado River once. Fast and fun. Pure and simple. Look into the 928. Those things have always had a special place in my heart.

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    200 km/h in my friend's Honda Accord. It must be close to 10 years ago. In my own car I've reached 193 km/h twice, but it's a big risk to try out where the limit is as the maximum speed limit you find on the Finnish roads is 120 km/h...

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I wondered if someone would chime in with somthing like this. Good stuff. Great stories guys...keep 'em coming.

Maki...especially. What a cool tale.

Not that I got to drive them or anything but I did get to spend a whole lot of time in the pits of the last CART race at Michigan Int. Speedway. (Met many a racer and celebrity) Unbeleiveable the speeds they were hitting is what the Veyron can get in the luxury of leather and climate control.

14. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Hooray for Top Gear!!!

15. I would love to have a 944. They can be picked up for really cheap and are great cars.

lowsound

16. Wow, nice car. I like how at that speed the tyres are good for 15 minutes, and the fuel 12 :eek:

The fastest I've driven was a little over 200kmh in my Ford Falcon XR8 on a straight, dry, trafficless road with no intersections for people to misjudge my speed and pull in front of me one night.

That was pretty scary. I won't ever do that again. At least not on a public road :D

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I've had my Dakota R/T on Atlanta Motor Speedway and was turning 126+mph average lap times. That translates to 145+ down the back straight :D:hyper:. Before you say big deal, remember, this is a pickup truck folks :eyebrow: My new engine is much stouter than the one that was in it when I did this. I can't wait to go back and do it again this year :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

18. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I say big deal...unless you had a keg in the bed! :D

19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    there was green in the console, does that count :p

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    104 mph on my Harley Sportster. Slowed down because I was having difficulty breathing. Had plenty of oomph left in it.