Impressive Slap Songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Hey, does anyone know any impressive slap songs

No red hot chili peppers!

Impressive, Fast, anything, i need some good slap songs to play in front of class at school

Thanks! :D
  2. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Ok, cool thanks#

ANY MORE?!
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Trust me, that'll keep you busy for a while!:D
  4. Once you have put Classical Thump to bed;), for something a bit different try:
    Marcus Miller - "Power" from his M2 CD
    Marcus Miller - "Summertime" from "Live and more", especially the solo

5. Stomp- The Brothers Johnson

Excellent slap bass solo on that one.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Level 42's "Hot Water."
  7. Brothers Johnson are amazing, Stop does have a nice slap solo and I belive 'Get the Funk Outta Ma Face' might have one too as well as 'Ain't We Funkin Now'. But for really impressive Ray Reindeau's song Liquid should most likely keep ya as busy if not more than Classical Thump. And Marcus Miller's Run For Cover.
  8. Oh my yes!

This song is just horrendous to play. If you can play this song, my hat goes off to you. Well, unless you've been playing for like 30 years and know the song front to back ;) :D
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, if you must know... any slap song is impressive. I should know. I asume you are playing for a class full of non bassists, hmmmm? Well, to them if a bass player hits the strings with there thumb they are either flea, les claypool, or they are playing the seinfeld theme. My advice, solidify some slap thang you know, or work out a groove of your own. I know from experience, if I lay out any slappity crappity people are like whoa thats awesome. My friend who went on tour in a ska band and knows all sorts of musicians considers me one of the best musicians he knows, definiatly the best bassist he knows. Wanna know why? Because I can slap fast. I actually am not that great a bassist but... I can slap fast. Give me the nobel prize for greatest bassist, I can slap fast.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I reccomend "you can't hold no groove" by victor wooten...pretty much any victor wooten song is an impressive slap song. Classical thump is a chop fest that, if you can play it, will make your neighbor move from cupertino to westlake. But "you can't hold no groove" is much much much more fun to play. and it sounds great too.
  11. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    im working on it :D lol
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Classical thump= down/up down/up down/up down/ nausem.

if you can do Vic's double thump technique well, the song shouldn't be too difficult to learn...there is some tapping(1-5-8 and 1-5-9-11(10) stuff) but other than that the song is really just a showcase of double thump technique....master double thump and master classical thump.
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Well ive downloaded Classical thump by victor, and ive got the tab but the blokes only tabbed it to 1:46 into the song..anyone know where i can find the completed full version of the tab?
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    tabs kill.

I spent about a 2 weeks learning that **** by helped me plenty. I recomend you do the same.

I think Vic is planning on releasing a book of transcribtions...I don't know if it will be notation only or notation and tab or what...but I do know that Classical thump will be there.
  15. Demonfish22

Jul 31, 2002
    Bath, England
    What's wrong with RHCP? My party piece is Aeroplane off One Hot Minute, it's an absolutely excellent song, with a wicked bass line, and everyone's like 'WHOA! OMIGODHOWDODYOUDOTHAT!?' even other bassists. Especially when I play it at 3 times the speed of the record :D

Believe me, fast slapping will really impress people, even if it's just Higher Ground or something.
  16. ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    I don't know where you'll find the tab, but my favorite is "Hair" by Graham Central Station. Check it out.
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I thought thump was tapped?