Improper realist pick up installation

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by valere, Nov 22, 2021.

1. valere

valere

Nov 9, 2021
    Hi,

I recently bought a bass fitted with a realist pickup. The pickup has got 2 protruding dots which I believe is a characteristic of early realist pickups - see photo

The pickup seems to have a low output compared to the realist pickup I have installed on my other bass.

Whoever installed the pickup made some tiny grooves in the bridge foot to cover the holes - see photo.

Am I right into thinking that is not a good idea? Instructions for the pickup say that "it is important that the bridge foot come into full contact with the raised dots".

If that was a bad idea, would filling in the grooves an option? Should I use a wood filler? Copper foil?

Any suggestion/idea welcome!

Thanks,

Valere

Attached Files:

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Fill them.

Levin S likes this.
  3. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I have had good results with a sheet of cork-blend rubber automotive gasket material between the foot and the pickup. Besides making the bridge more stable and preventing the pickup from impressing the top, this helps tame the piezo harshness.

robobass likes this.
  4. That pickup looks very well used, so the piezo may be shot. Sorry to say that filling the holes may not solve your problem. Hopefully i'm wrong...

5. Levin S

Levin S Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Charlotte N.C.
    I can wholeheartedly vouch for your gasket fix, Steven! After reading your post in another thread, I was able to get many additional miles out of an older Realist. Great, low-cost solution!

Steven Ayres likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022