Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Improve my reading. On a desk or to the bass ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I used to be a decent reader, but as I almost never read I've lost a lot.
    I get rhythmic figures pretty easily, but it takes me a lot of time to find the notes and the way they're supposed to be played.
    I'm trying to get back into it, mainly because it makes relations in the band way easier.

Considering that I only play bass, I figured I should work directly from the sheet to the instrument, instead of spelling the notes in rhythm first.
    Eventually, It'll be easier to make a direct connection between written notes and what I play on the neck.

Is it a good idea, or should I do it the scholar way ?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The only way to get better at sight reading is to sit down with your instrument and read, slowly.

3. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    When ever I do that I jut end up memorizing the piece and never actually learn to read the notes. I can read the sheet, just not very fast. But, whenever I try I just memorize it and then I don't even need the sheet anymore.

Any help on this would be helpful.

josh

4. If you end up memorizing the part, just get a bunch more pieces of sheet music to read, and sight read something different every day. If you don't have a bass with you, say the names of the notes to yourself and think what positions and fingerings you would use on a certain part. Be mindful of key signatures, and be sure to look at music in many different keys and styles.

Like Pacman said, the only way to do it is to do it. On the positive side, though, that's what works.

As an idea, to get yourself a bunch of things to sight read through, you can check out books of trombone etudes- no way tab'll be included in those. :)

5. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I agree with these guys. Instrument in hand is the best way to learn to read.

6. Jazz Ad

I'm going to keep it that way then.
    It really bugs me actually, because I'm the only self taught musician of the band, they all did music schools and all.
    As a consequence, I spend way too much time working on tunes and getting around them.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Funk got it - you've got to read something you've never seen every day. At the very least something you don't see very often.

8. Jazz Ad

** starts counting pages of his real books **

** faints **

:D
    Thank you guys.

9. Jazz Ad

Thanks a lot James.

Actually, I can decypher, I know what each and every sign means.
    It's more a practise problem than anything.