1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improve sound with a new cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deBont Amps, Mar 9, 2008.

1. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    I'm looking to improve my sound with a new cab. After some great tips and insights from other TB'ers, I was pointed in this direction.
    I'm using a Lakland JO4 skyline (passive, rosewoord, Fralin pickups), through an EBS TD650.
    My current speakers are the EBS Neo 112 and 110. The sound seems a bit closed up, and the low E isn't entirely all there. I also have the idea that neo-speakers aren't 'it'. This is based on absolutly nothing, but is just a feeling...but I could be very wring here.

My wishlist: Tight low end, that is all there. NOT boomy, but with that tiny tickle in the lower part of your belly. Sweet mids like butter, with presence, but not dominant and well defined (not sterile!).
    Brands to chose from in Holland: Aguilar, Ampeg, Epifani, EBS, Eden, Genz Benz, Hartke, SWR and a very few others.
    I play with my fingers and rarely slap. My band plays funk rock with a touch of soul. No preference for speaker size or cab weight.
    Any tips, experiences etc. are very welcome.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing bad about neos. They can sound as modern or as old school as needed, but the reason people think they're more modern is because they're used in modern designed cabs with really bright response.

Sounds like you're missing a 15". I've never been a big 15" guy, but with the smaller single speaker cabs, it seems like a 15" is a necessity. My feeling is your 12" and 10" cabs are too similar in frequency response and both are missing the low end kick of a larger cabinet. If you offed one of your smaller cabs and got a 15", I think you would get what you're missing out of your current rig.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    from your list I would look at Genz Benz, Epifani & Aguilar. I use the GB neox212 and love it but I'm seriously thinking of adding an Epifani PS 115 to put under it but have no way to demo one so I'll be getting the Epi on faith.....lol

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I recently purchased an Epifani 212UL S2 and by my experience it'll do what you're looking for. I play passive Fender fours through a MB R500.

5. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I think, you should try some another neos from EBS! I'm using their 210 (neo, but still owning an evo too), and I never felt that It's weak at low-end. I'm not a 15" guy, anyway...
    I think, these neos are GREAT, but maybe not for everyone..
    they are wery similar to the older, not-neo EBS cabs, but a bit more sterile - I like it, especially in the band. while playing alone, I still like the evo sound more.
    but the neos have more low-end.

the small neos (110 and 112) is a bit cut on box volume, so I'm not surprised, that they may have less lows (I never tried them).

and there are the neo 212, 115, and so on..

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Since you are in Europe dont forget Glockenklang, Tecamp and Hevos. Superb quality cabs and you don't have to pay for the shipping etc since it´s they're not imported from the US.

7. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    I'm not a big fan of 15". They tend to get real muddy real fast. I agree on, like others state, that the size of my cabs is probably the main problem. Best idea is to sell the 2 EBS's and buy something new.
    I'm leaning towards Epifani, Genz Benz and Aguilar based on reviews ans experiences on talkbass. Although I will give the 'bigger' EBS cabs a change also. I guess it depends on what matches the best with my EBS TD650 amp.