1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Improved an old harshell case!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. FunkSlap89


    Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I didn't know which forum to put this in, but anyway...

    As some of you may know, i recently got a used Warwick Fortress. It came with a case that was in rough shape. I don't care about the wear on the outside, but the padding on the inside wasn't very secure. The bass could still move around in there. I didn't like that one bit, so i decided to make some improvements.

    I found some chunks of packing foam in my basement along with some old ratty t-shirts. I dug out the staple gun and got to work. First I set the bass in the position I wanted, then stuffed the empty spaces with the packing foam. I would tear off small pieces and stuff them into any remaining spaces.

    After that, I'd take the bass out and cut a piece of tshirt. I'd lay the piece over the foam, and staple it to the bottom. Then I put the bass back in to make sure there weren't any more spaces to fill. I'd seal it in with the shirt and that was it! It came out great! seems to be much more sturdy!




    Attached Files:

  2. BurningSkies

    BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

    Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Aren't those staples scratchy?
  3. Figjam


    Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice bass
  4. RBASS930

    RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

    Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Get those damn staples out of there and replace them with some 3M spray glue pronto!!!!!! (sorry forgot the name of the glue....it comes in a black spray can) I wouldn't want to see a potential disaster with sharp staples coming loose and a beautiful bass in extremely close proximity. :)

    You can also find a similar liner to the original case liner in most shops that sell fabrics for dress making (please don't ask :rolleyes: )
  5. FunkSlap89


    Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    good point... don't know why i didn't think of that :rollno:

    I'll look into that glue...
  6. thisSNsucks

    thisSNsucks Supporting Member

    Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    the glue is called "spray mount"
  7. bill h

    bill h

    Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Make sure the spray glue will not eat the foam in the case, I use a knock of brand of glue and it deterred the foam in the case.
  8. No, the glue he's talking about is called "Spray 77" and it's the one used by upholsterers for attaching fabric to foam. They also have spray 66, 55, and 45 with 45 being the lightest general adhesive that I use in the shop for attaching patterns to boards.

    Henry, the "Spray Mount" from 3M comes in a white can with orange graphics and is for the graphic arts industry to mount photos or art onto paper substrates. It's very, very light in body and won't soak the special papers used in graphic arts.