1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improved home practicing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_NoBody, Apr 13, 2010.

1. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    (Warning, this message contain a low level of english language. But hey, no smilies !)

Hi all,

I have a lot of neighbors all around. And, i cant practice whit a big amp in my room. So, i think about a multi-effect which can give me a good sound, and all the effect i want.

I need (not really, i want more than i need) a multi-effect for home use, and maybe practice and live use. (more the first)

What i need really ? At the effect level, i want a good overdrive/distortion/... (but i'm more a overdrive guy), envelope filter, chorus, a looper (hard to find on a multi-effect ?). And maybe some more i cant think of now.

At the amp simulator level, i don't care about the similes between the simulated and the real thing. I never played on the real thing. (I think of the SVT here...)

So, if that sound good, its ok for me.

I see some models:

The Korg AX3000B

The Zoom B9.1UT

And the last one, the Line6 X3/X3 Live. (more expensive than the others)

(Maybe some others i cant remember of, like the Boss one(s).)

But, what i don't know on these guys, is the reliability. And, I don't care if i need to mess around before finding THE sound. In fact, i love it. héhé.

Now, why ? Why a multi effect and not a, hum, sansamp/like and the effect i want, standalone ? Because, the money, and, probably used only at home... for now. And i didn't even plan to play on a "real" amp whit this, for now.

Thanks for your advice.

PS: I know, i can try before buying. But, all the big shop are far from here. So, i want some advice before going at the chase. And, there is some things we cant know in the shop, like the reliability of the hardware/software.

EDIT: When i talk about a looper, that's like the RC serie of Boss, and not a LS-2 like.

2. The bassist in my room mate's band just picked up the Boss multi, and i've been pretty damn impressed with it so far.

Prior to that tough i have avoided milti pedals like the plague.

That said though, i like the Zoom for headphone-able practicing, just wouldn't use it in a full band setting.

3. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I recorded, practiced and performed live with a Korg AX3000B for nearly 2 years, great pedal! I still use it when I can't be bothered to get out my big pedalboard. Absolutely perfect for your needs and it's nice and cheap, can't recommend a better pedal mate.

Only drawback for me: no XLR, unlike the Pods. However I've got an MXR M-80 and some DI boxes anyway, so not really a problem anymore!

Yeah my vote is for the Korg AX3000B or the Line 6 Pod XT Live.

4. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Din Of Win: Which Boss are you talking about ?

EskimoBassist: The lack of XLR output are not a big drawback for me. If i need one, i just need to buy a DI box, which are not that expensive anyway.

And why you say the Pod Live ? I have some doubt on the quality of this one (but i talk about the X3 serie...).

PS: I think the Zoom and the Korg one are on the same battle here...

5. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I say the Bass Pod LIve just because I have some experience using it and it was quite nice, not as intuitive as the Korg however.

The X3 should be better, baring in mind it is the latest model, but I haven't used it or even read reviews so I can't reall comment.

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I use a Zoom B2.1U and it is a lot of fun. It has a ton of capabilities and I have not had a chance to explore more that 10% of them. Have not plugged it in to the USB port yet.

Thou I can play as loud as i want, my main practice instrument has become my Epiphone El Capitan acoustic. I found practicing on that is less forgiving and it also builds strength and endurance. The other nice thing about it is that an amp is not necessary thou it sounds really great with one since I modded the electronics.

7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Did you see these in the classifieds?

Boss GT6

Zoom B9

The Zoom in particular is a great buy at that price...

I have a Boss GT-10B.. that I got from a TBer and I am still being blown away by what this thing can do.. I am going to run it through my church's PA for the first time tomorrow.. I need no more effects of any kind..

8. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    I expect from a home practicing setup more comfort and sonic performance than from a mobile solution, say a Tascam Bass Trainer BT1 or 2.

I use a Line6 Bass Podxt bean with a Rolls PM351 to mix a line source (cd-mp3 / laptop[BandInABox] / drum machine) in.

An ART Tube MP routed between Pod out and PM351 input takes some of the digital sound away for a more natural sound. The PM351 not only for mixing, but also for a better (stronger/clearer) headphone amp. I use Sennheiser HD555 headphones.

Maybe not the latest and fanciest, but into decent headphones, makes for a nice home practicing setup ...

Count Bassie likes this.
  9. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    You are **** right.

But i always love having a lot of effect.

The Tascam BT1 look really great. The other one too, but i prefer a memory over a CD player. (But your Pod setup look great.)

In this kind of tools, i see a lot of people using the Pandora series.

That's great too ?

(That's a little off-subject, but hey, that's maybe better this way)

Din Of Win: Ho ok, the critic seems divided on this one.

Gintaras: Yeah, nice, i really want to try an acoustic like this someday. But, i just find a MIM Jazz Bass V used. A nice one...

Sav'n'Bass: I see, great price, but i'm not from the US. (obliviously, look at my english héhé)

EDIT: Sorry for the one phrase/one line message.

10. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    late at night, especially getting a bit "motivated", this upsets the Missus...

DSCN0045playalong2.

so I change over to this...

DSCN0039Headphonepractice.

:D

Count Bassie likes this.
  11. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Ho, thanks, really, thanks...

Keep that for the "show your hardware" thread next time... I'm kidding, but pictures like this cause gas in my case.

I think, a small mixer, like your Peavey, can replace easily a headphone amp no ? And have the same use than the Rolls. (Just dont put that much of money on a mixer if that's only for headphone purpose)

In fact, now, i try to know what the rolls do in your setup.

EDITwhitoutedit: Ok, i know why, but, your peavey cant do that ? Maybe too much trouble...

More on the thread way, you use your Pod in a live purpose ?

12. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    can do - yes
    sound as good - definitely no.

Count Bassie likes this.
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    That $150 Zoom B9.1 ut would be a screaming deal. I paid $300 for mine and I'm really happy with it.

Headphone practice station: invaluable tool, keeps the peace and shuts out distractions. I use mine from one to two hours almost every night. (while my kid does his piano practice, I wish that had headphones)

I have about a million miles on my very old Sholtz Bass Rockman, it can take a aux in like Dr Rhythm 660, my drummer, ( he's always on time) or Ipod, cd, whatever. I use a compressor in front of it to have a more variable volume. It was getting creaky, and has limited effects, so I sprung for the Zoom B9. (the sholtz just keeps going, now I have another headphone station all put together upstairs.)

All alone the B9 does everything you want it to do, except loop well. and they took out the drum machine. (on the looper front I just traded my Akai Headrush e2, a killer delay, okay looper, for a Boss RC-2. Hopefully that will do me. The RC -2 has beats.)

Right out of the box the Zoom makes cool sounds and has some good preset patches. You can just plug in your headphones and go. It'll take a mini stereo input to hook up your ipod, drum machine or whatever.

If you are hooked into your computer with some kind of interface that has midi, you can do all your editing and saving of patches on your desk top. Check out Zoom's editor software, its free.

So here's how it goes: bass into the Zoom, two 1/4 outs (could be xlr's) for stereo into the firepod interface channels 1&2. Firewire to the iMAC and garageband or Cubase LE4. The midi in and out on the Zoom go to the midi out and in on the Firepod. Headphones can plug into the Zoom (okay) or the firepod (better).

You can skip the interface and use the usb on the Zoom to go to the mac, but you miss out on the midi editor software. Which got a little one line mention in the manual, but is possibly one of the best things about the Zoom. No more squatting over the Zoom twisting the little knobs while you peer at the tiny led display. Every effect, and the whole very cool eq, cabs, everything, is laid out on the desk top. Once you have a patch dialed, it saves to the Zoom, and in your library. Come up with something at practice while your twisting knobs and you can back it up when you get home.

Why they did with midi, I don't know.

With this setup you can run your itunes in to work on material. Best of all you are now set up to record. Work up your latest creation in garageband, and export it to itunes, put it on your ipod. Take it to play for the band. Oh yeah, garageband's virtual bands will let you solo endlessly over generic forms, like blues, reggae, rock, jazz. Change keys? no problem.

14. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks, the Zoom have a little advance on the Korg. (And i let go the deal...)

But, in the last day, i was going to buy something only for the headphone. Like OldogNewTrick advice me.

But hey, i didn't do it again. I will need to check that in-shop i think. But,i like what i heard of the Zoom. Heard, yes, but, i hate the fact we cant just edit the zoom by the USB...

Ho, and, i stay far from the computer use for playing, except maybe for recording.

Thanks