1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Improved" Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shastaband, May 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Somebody also thought this bass made a good thread topic a while ago.

3. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Didn't see the previous thread. Sorry for the repetition.
    I was browsing craigslist, saw this advertised, and was dumbfounded.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Now go sit in a corner and think about what you have done.

5. Different horses for different courses, and all - but, somebody really made that beautiful Ric look truly bizarre.

47th Street likes this.
  6. LOL a mothman pickguard.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I will never understand why Ric guys and Ray guys are the most offended when one gets modded in any way. It's just a bass....and not even a particularly special or rare one. There are plenty out there that haven't been "ruined". Go buy one of those.

Nutn to see here in my view.

ICM, TrustRod, Mosstone and 4 others like this.
  8. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    This bass is kind of like a horror movie. And horror movies usually have a lot of sequels...

VelvetyClank, nixdad and spaz21387 like this.
  9. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    As I recall, there was more than one with that pick guard setup. Although there were probably a thousand or more 4001V63 basses made, I wouldn't have chosen that model to "customize" in this way.

ICM, PWRL, SirMjac28 and 3 others like this.
  10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    IMG_0325.JPG
    Nothing wrong with GOOD mods:D.......

11. I can no longer abide pickguards, but that's just my quirk, because I want to see the finish, not a plastic cover :bored:

tubedude likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Those are freaking awesome. Mods or not.

13. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    The v63 actually is a particularly rare bass.

True story: my brother in law bought the original ebay listing. This is his craigslist ad.

Barbaric.Eric, woodyng2 and SirMjac28 like this.
  14. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
  15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    OT here...

I have never really taken much notice of the differences in Ric's, but the bridge on the one in the OP, to set intonation do you also have to move those blocks? Doesn't that affect the height at the same time?

Sorry, just curious.

16. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    I'm sure it's been up a couple of times for sale.
    I guess folks buy it thinking they'll revert it to its original state and then find out it's not so straightforward.

17. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    A Rickenbacker 4003 bridge isn't any different than a Tune-O-Matic on a Gibson Les Paul. The string saddle really ought to be filed to the radius of the fretboard. It has two points of contact to adjust on the "E" & "G" sides of the bridge & the intonation is adjustable by a set screw which faces the tailpiece on each saddle.

Yes it's a pain to do with strings @ tension. I adjusted the bridge over the course of two string changes & now it's nearly spot on above the 12th fret.

Not nearly as easy as a Fender style bridge to adjust, but, not impossible either.

JACink likes this.
  18. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't checked TB in a few days, so, I didn't see the previous thread either. I agree with you. I don't think the pickguard mod improved that rick. No way I would buy it.

byoung93888 likes this.
  19. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
  20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Don't worry. There's a lot of stuff sitting in museums that folks call art that I don't get either.

And I'm perfectly fine with them sitting in museums and not on my wall at home.

This bass is like that. Don't buy it and you'll be fine.

Rezdog likes this.